Help identifying engine

saras147

hi guys,
I would need your help to identify what engine is in my car.

The car: 99 Legacy B4 BE5 (sedan)

Long story short: i m changing rocker cover gaskets. I got them from SUBARU dealer in Kildare. When I removed rocket covers - a surprise (gaskets dont match, see Pic 1 and Pic 2) . Dealer sent me the right gaskets (for EJ208 engine, as i asked).

I did some research and I think I have heads (or full engine swapped) from 1993-1996 EJ20H revision A engine. EJ20H (Rev A) was fitted to BD5 and BG5 Legacy (older model up to 1996) [EJ20R was after 1996].
Source : http://www.importcarparts.co.uk/parts?cat=96&sub=2856&sec=2862&var=60&dc=y - mine look very same like Rev A

My engine pics 3-5

The code on engine block(near Alternator) is EJ20. I know there is another place : where engine and transmission connects, there should be engine's serial number. But intercooler is blocking the way...

Question: is there any other way to find out what engine i have without taking it out from the car?

I can upload more pictures if required. I understand is not easy to spot difference while looking at photos vs real car

Sorry for grammar mistakes, English is not my first language.

Attachments

• Pic 1.jpg
    Pic 1.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 42
  • Pic 2.jpg
    Pic 2.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 42
  • Pic 5.jpg
    Pic 5.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 43
  • Pic 4.jpg
    Pic 4.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 42
  • Pic 3.jpg
    Pic 3.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
Hi welcome along . Looks like you have a standard ej20 engine so you need to ask for an ej20 rocker cover gaskets . I'm. No expert and I.m sure some else will confirm properly :thumb: I.m sure they will change them in tp Waters :thumb::thumb:

Hi welcome along . Looks like you have a standard ej20 engine so you need to ask for an ej20 rocker cover gaskets . I'm. No expert and I.m sure some else will confirm properly :thumb: I.m sure they will change them in tp Waters :thumb::thumb:

I would like to find out if I have EJ20H block and heads or EJ208 block and heads from EJ20H (OR EJ20K wrx impreza engine - rocker covers look the same and gaskets are the same).
There is ( i assume) date code in Picture 5 (alternator bracket) : 96 1 07 - EJ20H REV A 05/1993 To 05/1996 so it is in the time frame.

I looked at true B4 (friend of mine got not too long ago) and couldn't see any differences between mine and his car. I didnt knew that i have modified engine at that time.

TP Waters will change gaskets for me, good people down there.

Back