Rear wheel bearing

Mark Cahill

Full ISDC Members 2015Member Number 555
I think the rear passenger side wheel bearing may be starting to fail. I'm getting a light sort of scratching noise each time the wheel turns. There is also a bit of heat on the hub part of the brake disc after a bit of a drive. I've had the pads out to check those and pistons in calipers moving freely too. Few questions about this.

Is it safe to drive on or should I leave the car off the road until fixed?

I've been looking at some bearings online and some are normal press in and others are bolt on bearings, which is needed for an 02 Legacy B4?

Should bearings be replaced in pairs?

Many thanks. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
What I had chance of trying failing Wheel bearing, I was told, that since the moment it begins, it can withstand another 10k km... I would not risk it though, I believe you can drive it some more, but would not overstretch it and book yourself for replacement asap.

for the ease of your mind, you can replace them in pairs, but I don't think its necessary, by replacing one the other one should not be in more 'stress' like its with tyres...

Just a thought here, in the impreza the handbrake shoes are built inside the rear brake disc/hub and can stick causing it to scratch as you say when the wheel moves around. Im not sure if the legacy set up is the same. A worn wheel bearing will make a whining noise at different speeds when you drive it. I had a similar problem I took off the disc and gave it and the shoes a good cleaning with brake cleaner and it solved the problem, just a build up of brake dust and crap really.

Yeah Ger, in the end it turned out to be the handbrake shoes rather than the bearing. They have caused me nothing but hassle from the minute the rear Brembos were fitted with the oversized shoes. To sort it for good hopefully I purchased some DBA discs that come with the smaller inner diameter so the standard shoes can be fitted. They arrived today so I'll get them fitted soon and see if it's sorted.

Back