Where to get some decent brake fluid?

Altezza-Dan

Octane Boostaholics
Im wondering where i can pick up some brake fluid tomorrow to do a fluid flush after i refurbish my front brakes, I think there is Motul in there now but anything will do me that can handle the occasional fast twisty road blast

Dot 4 is standard enough in everything! 5.1 is supposed to have a higher boiling point but I've never seen the need to or being able to justify the cost of it!

My cap says dot3 :) how much do u generally need for a full flush allowing for some spillage etc. 1.5 litres should be plenty?

the dot rating refers to department of transport. i generally use dot 4 in most stuff. remember if your boiling a good dot 4 like motul rbf, your also putting that temperature through everything else in the area. if its getting that hot you need to consider cooling, or bigger brakes etc.

I've Motul RBF600 Dot4 in mine.

DOT3 is an older standard with lower boiling point etc -- you can safely use a good DOT 4.

DOT4 is most common - But, not all DOt4 are equal - there's a big difference in boiling point between a good and a cheap one.

Dot 5 is a no no unless specifically specified for your car (not compatible)

Dot 5.1 can be used in a DOT3 or DOT4 system, but it attracts water more than others and hence would need to be flushed more often (about every year).

All brake fluid will attract water and that will lower the boiling point, hence need to do a full flush every 2 years or so.
Depending on a the car of course, but on average will take between 1.5 and 2 Litres to do a full flush.
Some cars have a specific sequence in which you need to flush (e.g. front left, right rear, front right, left rear) to prevent pooling of old liquid etc.

The millars is good. Last time I used it the price had shot up something stupid though for whatever reason.

Back