CV Boot replacement - 2002 NA Legacy

fluffyduff

Hi Folks,

My first job on the Legacy has cropped up. I've a torn inner boot on the front driver side driveshaft (the joint is fine, I caught the tear quickly and haven't put any mileage on the car since I discovered the problem)

It looks to be a straightforward enough job once the shaft is out but I'm just wondering if there is anything I need to be careful of/special tools needed to get the shaft out of the car (gearbox end looks to be held in on splines only - is that right?)

Any pointers from those who've been there before would be greatly appreciated.

There should be an 6/8 mm roll pin to be tapped out at the gearbix side then pull out :thumb:

Excellent, Thanks. I'm fairly sure I would have made a tit of that, its been years since I've done one that wasn't held in by a flange with 6 bolts.

On the other end of the shaft, I presume I can just separate the ball joints/trackrod ends at the hub to give me enough play on the strut to pull the shaft?

:thumb::thumb: ye should be just enough room to pull it off after that . The roll pin is on the smaller part if the shaft on the real inside you cant realky miss it :thumb:

Thanks for the help all, job done. Ended up unbolting the wishbone as the bottom ballpoint just would not budge for me. All in all a pretty straightforward job. (Apart from a stupid mishap with the roll pin and a drift that was just a little too small and ended up jammed in the middle of the pin)

Replaced the discs and pads while I was at it, hopefully that'll keep me right until the next service.

Good job then . Ah we have all being there worst case you have to drill it out One of the joys of working on cars :icon_grin::icon_grin: . :thumb:

Back