2005 WRX noise from start up....

This might be a stupid question but is the mechanical timing still correct after the belts were changed? It's hard to tell from the video but I had a similar noise from an Alfa flat 4 when it jumped a tooth on 1 cam.

Thats detonation federal. Not piston slap from natural wear.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Strange. Just wondering. Why it was same sound only when cold engine? The sound is piston slap? As was told by couple garages that is piston slap. Couture auto guys was telling in their opinion it's piston slap along other well known garage.
Might be detonation killed my pistons. But noise wasn't detonation. thought that detonation most time happens on boost. Correct me if I wrong.
By the way it's original pistons from first rebuild. Its could so weared within 82k miles?

Last edited:
Detonation would not occur at idle or just revving the car like that in your videos and to the untrained ear is unrecognisable so putting octane booster in was a waste of money.

If the noise is gone completely when warm, the engine is not using oil or water , drive on .A bit of piston slap is nothing to worry about and yours is minimal.

My advice is turn up the radio and enjoy the car

Had the same sound with my own when I started it cold. I have an N/A. Sound went on for a couple of weeks and it just disappeared eventually. Just let the car run for a while in the mornings. It will wreck your head trying to find it. I did belts and the lot and it still had it.

Your just doing your head in man I'd just forget about it and drive it on could be a number of things and you could spend thousands trying to find it to no avail.
They all make some sort of noise at some stage
You could fit an aftermarket knock sensor at least it might give you some peace of mind

Your just doing your head in man I'd just forget about it and drive it on could be a number of things and you could spend thousands trying to find it to no avail.
They all make some sort of noise at some stage
You could fit an aftermarket knock sensor at least it might give you some peace of mind
Sound advice there????

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Back