Random whining/grinding noise.

shadowhearth

Petrolheads
Hello, haven't been here in ages, but I need some help.
My wrx got an annoying noise lately. Randomly I get metal grinding whine noise coming, but really hard to figure out from where.
It starts randomly when I drive around 60mph and then can stay on any speed. It disappears when I even slightly push brakes and comes back when I am off the brakes. It randomly goes off and then can reappear if steering wheel slightly turned and disappear when it straight or it can appear when steering wheel straight and disappear when I turn etc. It's always random with it. Going 140km/h + it disappears completely.

Now I got to my mechanic and he said to change bearing in transfer box. In fairness they were worn out and I got all 4 bearings done, but noise stoll there with no change. All oils in diffs, gearbox and transfer box changed.

Any ideas? From googling it was mentioned in a few places that it could be due to fluids in brakes or calipers need to be cleaned up. Or even brake pads etc? My mechanic thinks now it's a bearing which connects camshaft and rear diff... Which I am not sure about at this point. Any ideas lads?

I'd say your confused about the camshaft to rear diff as that doesn't make any sense ????
The fact it's changing when the brakes are pressed it could be something in the brakes what are the pads like on it subaru have metal wear indicators on the pads and if the pads are nearly gone these strips make an awful racket I'd check the first

wagon dec

Hehe, sorry for mind derps. Combination of 1.30h sleep and 6:00 start work does not help my head. :D
I can't see it being any bearings anymore as all wheels done have wobble in them and all other drivetrain is tidy.
I was thinking of breaks and I know my breakfast are on the way out now. So most lolly the whole racket is because of the breaks?

I don't let the missus in my car anymore and have no random whining since .

Check the back brake assembly . Had a simular noise myself lately after changing the disks and pads . Check for ware on the stone shield just below the handbrake adjuster. Means removing disk but I bet you have simular issue to mine .

Cheers, will do. I will be at his place after worm tomorrow and I get him to dig in to brakes before he goes near any more bearings...

sounds almost like a wheel bearing, hard to tell without hearing. does it change if you clutch in?

That was the first thing we though off, but car was up and no wobble or weirdness in wheels. All tight. Wouldn't wheel bearing whine consistent and increasing with speed though? As this one is just pure random.
No changes with clutch in or out. Looks like completely different region.

Not expert here, but might be brake pad wearing indicator. Metal clip which is grinding on disc.
I know on mine now, that noise is kind of random one. Sometimes you c an hear it all time, sometimes on low speed.
Year ago had something similar ok back wheels. Went to garage, and it was some dirt on pads/calipers. Small cleaning it helped.

Cheers m8. I will get him tomorrow just take apart my brakes and see whats the story. I knew my pads are going out soon, but maybe it is the way these pads show that they worn out? Usually it is just metal high pitch noise on other cars?

Last edited:
That was the first thing we though off, but car was up and no wobble or weirdness in wheels. All tight. Wouldn't wheel bearing whine consistent and increasing with speed though? As this one is just pure random.
No changes with clutch in or out. Looks like completely different region.

have had bearings do all sorts of stuff, very hard to check as you can't really replicate the loads while driving.
if you loosen off the hub nut you will get a better indication of its true health. even then its not 100%, have changed bearings before as ruled out all other obvios, they are a common issue and aren't expensive.

Okay, little update:
Car is up on the lift. And finally could show that noise to my friend. It's a rear wheel breaks. One break pad sort of stuck and needed some force to be taken out. All cleaned up, refited. Now lads doing g other side just to be safe. I will have a drive to cork, so u will be listening again.

Well, I am afraid to say this, but looks like it's sorted. Noise is gone and it was a 30mile trip. Noise would have appeared countless times.
It was something stupid and easy as stuck brakepad...
Lads, big thanks to you all. If not you, I am pretty sure we would be looking for the issue.

Ha. For last few days I had noise coming from my brakes. By mileage done on pads I thought it is by usage indicators (metal clips) so I was already getting quotes for pads and discs...
Had free hour so decided to take a wheel off and check back pads (as there was gro of noise). There was some small stone blocking inside pad and that was a problem. Took it apart, cleaned and get all back together, did other side as well just in case (ton of dust from brakes there!!) but noise is gone, on pads still some life left so happy days.

Last edited:
Back