Biggest tyres I can fit on the Forester? 245/40/18"? to big??

F

forester sti

Lads My car has 225/45/18 W rated tyres on her at the moment, I would very much like to fit the widest possible tyres :dance: My local tyre fella took a 245/40/18 off a big merc so I asked him to fit it to my car to check for clearance and the good news is, It looks great, much chunkier and filled the arches much better, the stanard tyres come out over the rim with a rim protector and then goes back in about 10mm to the threads, but the 245's go straight up from the rim protector so looks much better and would have more grip!
And they dont catch the arches or suspension!
But the bad news is that the side wall of the worn 245/40 was only about 5mm away from the side of the rear suspesion strut (the 225's are about 8mm at the rim protector and then big to about 18mm at the top) and I'm afraid that a brand new tyre of a different brand might touch the strut!
Has anyone ever heard of a forester with big tyres? Or What do you reckon I should do?
Dan

I would say new tyres would rub..I though i would get 225 on my legacy looked like there was loads of room but when brand new tyres went on at 215 they where right at the limit..you would be surpised how much differnce 10mm can make

rolling the arches would help the width of the tyres :) height clearance would be sorted with adjustable ride height coilovers and hard/soft adjustment, and a camber kit would sort out the angle of the shocks and straighten it

if the inside of the tyre is near the suspension strut than thats it it wont touch it at all.. it either touchs or it doesnt... so it will be ok to run. And agree with johnny just run 2/3mm spacers if you feell its too close..

Dan ,i had 225 fitted to my impreza with 5mm spacers.Fine under normal driving,went to mondello :noway:so much sway and movement and it rubbed something else.Leave well enough alone in my opion :dunno:
i'vthe cusco adjustable suspension and height adjustment,still rubbed

:angry:But the big ones look so cool!!!
I might buy a 235/45/18" and see what the clearence is like! I know the forester sti that powerstation/litchfeild run in the UK Tuner GP has 235/40/18" but that's to low profile,
I want to keep the arches looking full and the ride comfortable!
I appreciate your input lads! Thanx
Dan

I dont suppose anyone knows were there's an old 235/45/18" around that I could try for size! Save me wasting money on a new one!

Back