remove radio from B4 legacy?????

B

barkeenan

well lads,
This is doin my head in!
tryin to remove the standard mcintosh radio from my legacy!
took off the plastic surrounding the gear stick, removed the 2 screws, started to pry the surround off but it seems to be held by some
thing behind the cig lighter and ashtray!
there was one screw behind the ashtray and i took that out but made no difference, it was still held really strong at
the bottom!
I am very close to stickin my boot through it :angry: so any help would be greatly appreciated!
Cheers.

Besides the screw at the rear of the ashtray i think there might be 2 screws at the very front of the ashtray that you cant see.
They are straight up from the floor if ya get me, the screw heads pointing down. with the ashtray out have a look up with a torch, if not in the ashtray compartment they are to the far left and right corners of the surround beside the ashtray, hope this helps.

cheers lads, i felt what i thought were rivets up in the ashtray but they must be the screws!! :ponder:
Jesus, its some ass of a radio to get out!
Did any of ye have trouble with the standard cd player? McIntosh??
Every time iput in a cd either error 3 or error 6 comes up on the screen!
I wouldnt mind but its just the sound is class and i dont want to have to change it unless its fooked! :thumbsup:

Changing it for somethin new myself,keep getting disc error on the screen and its doin my head in!!! :angry: :angry: :angry:

whats this disc error, dont know what system i have but i keep gettin that f ucking disc error, its enough to make ya mad :angry:

The bin it is i rekon!
when ye changed yer radios was the sound still as good?
Hard to find a nice double din unit to replace it though, at a decent price!!!

is that at me bar :dunno:

never changed the radio, its a 3 disc front load subaru unit, sometimes it plays but more often than not its a disc error :dunno:

:thumbsup:

Its enough to put your fist thru it,anyone else gettin a focus error??when i get a bit a cash i'll splash out on a new head unit and speakers,anyone else having trouble with their speakers??? :ponder:

Lads have you tried something as simple as a decent cleaning disk? cars sit up and gather dust on boast and in storage in japan..few runs with a decent cleaner and an air duster should see it right...the mcintosh sytem is one of the best standard systems you'll see in any 99-01 jap car..try buying mcintosh hi fi equipment for your house ..its crazy money top notch gear

does anyone know were you can get a filler peice never had a radio in my legacy when i got it just stuck a single din one in

A main dealer should be able to sort you out with a forester pocket, its single din sized and fills the hole perfectly on my car :thumbsup:

[quote author=dmcma link=topic=5106.msg56922#msg56922 date=1201199012]
the gap is about 7 inches on mine
[/quote]

Yeah that would be double din size - if you want to change to standard sized radio then the forester pocket will fit in above/below :thumbsup:

ok lads, tackled it again today and still makin no progress!
can only find those 3 screws. the two under the gear surround and the one at the back of the ashtray!
There are no other ones!!!!
only torx head bolts!!!!!
im goin to crack up!!!! :angry:
Anyone know where im goin wrong????

ya do know have to take out the whole unit, climate control and all, there's i think four screws holding it in, take off the whole surround

what do you mean at the back of the astray? when you take out the ashtray there are two screws above it (i only had one i think there are suppose to be two) you have to get a very short screwdriver and you have to unscrew them downwards. there are the only ones i can think of.

after that i think go with your boot idea

stevo

[quote author=barkeenan link=topic=5106.msg57298#msg57298 date=1201298901]
ok lads, tackled it again today and still makin no progress!
can only find those 3 screws. the two under the gear surround and the one at the back of the ashtray!
There are no other ones!!!!
only torx head bolts!!!!!
im goin to crack up!!!! :angry:
Anyone know where im goin wrong????
[/quote]

Will have a look at it if ya like :thumbsup:

Back