Strange issue with overboosting

Codders

Member Number 162Full ISDC Members 2015
Recently my Type-R started overboosting. I checked all the vacuum lines for potential splits, and all are fine and properly seated.

The car is mapped on Alcatek ecu with 3 port solenoid by our late Simon JGM... who is sadly missed and normally he would be my first person to go to with issues like this.

It's been set up for max boost 1.45 and it seems to be boosting 1.7 at the moment.
Also what I've noticed is, that the boost control for the particular gears changed as well. For example on the 1st gear it hits 1.5 now, where if I remember correctly it was previously hitting about 1bar max.
The car still drives smooth as long as I don't push it. It had a boost-cut only once when I tried to accelerate on the 5th gear, and only for a fracture of second. That's when I noticed something was wrong.

Nothing was done on the engine recently, except
I had some polishing done in a garage, where I had my car previously resprayed and when I collected it, the guy told me that when they had tried to start the car, the main fuse has gone. Could it have somehow affected the ecu boost control or the map?

That's the fuse which got apparently blown
120A_fuse_2.jpg

It could be totally coincidental though

Last edited:
May have damaged board.

If main fuse blew they earthed a positive whilst jump starting. Most likely of fmic pipe etc if have one.

Tried to start it with the key or jump starting? My friends car started randomly over boosting aswell. All lines etc were fine. We changed the vacuum line that has the restrictor pill in it and the boost dropped back down to a steady 0.5 bar. Couldn't find even a hairline split on the vacuum line.

Thats because 0.5 is actuator pressure in o.e. turbo. So have not solved or found an issue. Only regulated by above means. Although safe way til found det wise

you'd need to do a quick vacumn test on pipework and wastegate, try cleaning solenoid. Usually fuse is blown when leads are connected and the ignition is not on, so good chance of no damage. most important stay off boost until fixed, just becuase you don't overboost doesn't mean you don't have too much boost at any given rpm.

Thats because 0.5 is actuator pressure in o.e. turbo. So have not solved or found an issue. Only regulated by above means. Although safe way til found det wise

Yep. It'll suit Codders temporarily until he finds the issue. I haven't asked him yet to see if he's put the restrictor pill in the new line or if he's still running without but similarly it started happening after the car was sitting up while off the road.

i had an overboost issue with my last wrx it would spike and then the car would go into safe mode turned out the maf was at fault chnged it and it sorted the overboost

Yeah but I'm running maf-less setup on Alcatek.

As it turned out the Alcatek is fried :( I took it out of the car today and that's what I found... :(

IMG_0137.jpg

IMG_0138.jpg

one path and diode is completely burnt out.
My mate who is advanced in electronic and stuff tried rebuilding the path and soldered a new diode in...
I installed the ecu back and the car didn't start at all.

I'm 100% sure the guys in the garage were trying to jump start it and this is what happened. The engine was running ok though until I found out the overboosting issue...
I may have to send it to Alcatek guys to see if it's repairable, otherwise need a new ecu. The worst thing is that it was mapped by Simon and the car was running the way I always wanted it to run. I knew I was gonna miss the guy but I hoped his map would have lasted longer in my car :(

Either way I'm fucked :(

Last edited:
Pcb burns out. Seen a few times.

Highly advise not jump starting cars with alcatek.

Secondly the map may be able to be downloaded. Can send back to alcatek for you with this request. But its a 50/50 thing.

And if you werent running latest software then wont be possible.

Definitely worth to talk to Alcatek to see what they can do about this kind of damage. Hand once idle valve drivers issues - fixed for free (ok, shipping costs only).
However you may need some patience in contact with them. :)

Too bad, however, that you tried fixing it on your own - not sure what will be their opinion on that.

Last edited:
Idle driver was a component recall. Not quite the same.

If he can repair it wont be too dear. But if he feels board may be a danger if botch fixed etc then will advise a new board.

The most important thing to me would be retrieving the map. If Andy says it needs a new board then that's fine, if he could fix it, even better.

I know that you're away on holidays at the moment Dave, I'm actually away too. But I would be grateful if you could assist me with sending it to Andy after your holidays.

This ecu has been upgraded about 2.5 years ago and Simon JGM was taking care of it at the time, so I'm not sure but it should be running on the up-to-date software.

Back