Few questions about B4

kijan

Hey guys!

Ah first post here .. :) So - recently I bought 00 Legacy B4.. Yup my dream car that ever wanted, but .. for a price I got it I could really expect many problems and here they are .. :p

In general first things I had to do was the exhaust that was ripped off after cat, but that's done now. Front wheel bearing - fixed as was noisy as hell. Brakes changed as they were also dead.. small gap after MAF - which was causing issues with air (btw I first time saw how much impact it have in this car! But fixed now :) ) But these things were not bad - right now I struggle with some engine problems and I was guided to come here for some advice.

Guy that sold me that car said that it have issue with coil packs and it's not running on one cylinder. Which would be right - idle is bit rough, car really don't seem to have power. Also - on 5th gear starts shaking and it's nearly not accelerating. We checked coil packs one by one and on one of them there was no difference, so I guess that would be cause (or plug). It's the one on the air filter side, back one towards turbo. However - once we swapped that coilpack with other working - it got worse and it seems that placing this other one didn't really helped. My question is - could that be something else on the way? I'm asking before I will get a new one with plug, as I was quite concerned when I swapped it with one that was working on the other cylinder.

Car now takes ton of petrol, but I guess it's connected to the issue above.

Also - after driving it for about 1 hour constantly - once I stopped I saw a little bit of hmm like smoke or air coming from the intercooler - it wasn't dark, like steam or something, don't know what can cause it too.

I wonder could you recommend some good garage around Cork area where I could take it for check. There is many small bits that are not working right there (e.g. temperature gauge can go on max when engine is turned off, then after a while goes to normal temp of engine and randomly bumps to max and around 90 - but it seems to be a cluster issue).

Also - I have not really much knowledge about Boxer engines, but I'm trying to figure out things with manuals :)

Engine works really smooth apart from that - when on idle sounds really nice and on revving there are no knocks or something, but - it really feels very underpowered - but everything that comes with it makes me feel it's connected to the misfire.

If you suggest something that I could check as well on the way or maybe some thing that I should check/do after purchase - except oil/filters (they're done) - let me know, as I would like to bring it back to useful state. Thanks!!

Also if I said something unclear or you need more information let me know - can make pics, movies etc.

That is some project you are after taking on. Credit to you. My first Subaru was a zero zero legacy b four rsk. Get a few pictures of yours up. And best of luck fixing your issues. Hello and welcome to.

Hello! :)

Yeah, I will make some pics when I start weekend for sure :) Thing is, that body is in quite bad condition, as I think last owner didn't make few corners correctly :( But - engine first, body later, I really don't mind :)

Indeed - it's great car to drive, I changed from Accord Coupe CG4 '98, so while Honda is really reliable, here everything gives more fun - handling, sound. It's like adventure every time I got to drive, while Honda was just really predictable :) :)

I hope to get new coil pack on Wednesday and set of brand new spark plugs and I will see what will be next.

I pushed it a little bit today on the way to work and it looks that it goes nicer on higher revs - let's say from 5k+, I feel less issue with cylinder and there is less shaking :)

Hmm have one more question - as if car is cold first let's say 2-3 miles are really hard to drive, like really engine is on big hesitation and then once bit warmed it get revs easily. I mean it's really hard to even join traffic from stop, as it barely drives - but that's only when cold. I'm still suspecting that cylinder here, but we will see after change of coil pack.

All the best :)

Hello and welcome . Best advice I can give is Mark Murphy motors 021/4894839. I also wouldn't be driving it hard till you have them issues sorted as your risking your engine .

Great! Thank you Scoobysub, I just filled an appointment there and I will go there on Wednesday when I start my day off from work. Good point indeed - I'm trying to drive it quite slowly right now, also due to really huge petrol need there (e.g. 20e petrol on the way between Midleton->Cork and back) ^^ :) But I hope that after that check there will be some good news :) Thanks again!

Hiya :)

Just an update - got the car at Mark's Garage right now and he will run a full compression test with the check of coilpacks and plugs.. Having a fingers crossed that the car will be healthy :)

And fixing done :) it was actually dead coilpack :) once fixed all issues were gone with the car. First impressions after fully working engine? Im impressed and little bit scared as its really fast. Anyway - need to clean him up and once I get him ready for showing I will post some pictures :) :) Thanks!

Great news man. Simple fix when you know what your looking for get in and enjoy it now :thumbs up:

Back