What Engine oil diff and gearbox oil

Millers CFS 10w40, might try a gearbox and diff oil change soon but not sure whats in there at the minute

Are the Diff and Gearbox oil changes handy enough DIY jobs?

Last edited:
Used Motul since I bought her hear lot of people saying good things bout Castrol Edge? Is there a Equivalent Castrol or Motul for doing gearbox and diff?...

I get my stuff from Opie. They regularly do good deals of 15-25% off.
They are doing buy 5L and get 1L free at the moment instead.

Currently running:

Fuchs Titan Race Pro S 5W-40 Ester Synthetic Engine Oil (used to be branded Silkolene instead of Fuchs - very good stuff and used by a lot of the rally lads)
Millers Oils CRX 75w90 NT Competition full synthetic transmission oil
Motul RBF 600 Factory Line racing brake fluid

motul also do a range of joe soper oils, not just race stuff. haven't found an issue with any of it.

How often?

How often should the gearbox and diff oil be changed?
I had a look online and Subaru seem to say that it should be inspected every 30k miles but only needs to be changed if it's black and smells burnt.

I'm asking because I'm noticing that the gear change on the RX is getting a bit notchy, would a change of fluid help?
The car has 127k kms on it now.

The RX would put a lot less power through the drive train than a WRX or STI and hence shouldn't need those oils changed every 30/60k. The service manuals say inspect every 30k miles. Most of us with WRX or STI would probably read that as replace... On the RX I would still inspect at those intervals for levels etc and maybe replace at 10 years max or 160k kms max which ever comes first (provided levels have been kept ok during that interval and checked for clearness / colour / smell etc).

If you think the gear changes are a bit notchy, and especially if this is worse when cold, then I would change the fluids. In the grand scheme of things it is relatively cheap to change and certainly won't harm it. Just make sure you get the right grades and fill correct amount.

Thanks Keadeen.

Gearbox oil was not anything I would have thought about changing for the same reasons as you mention below.
But it's just recently that I notice that gear change is that little bit more notchy.

I also noticed that reverse is difficult enough to get unless I go into neutral first. I used to select first gear and then reverse and that used to make getting reverse easier, but that doesn't seem to help anymore.

I think an oil change is probably needed alright. It definitely can't hurt.

The car is due a service soon anyway so I'll pick up some 75w90 and get that done as well.

Thanks again,
Adrian.

I'm using Motul engine oil and Millers gear box and diff oil.

To be Honest if it was an everyday STI I had, I would have no problem in running it on 10w40... I've ran loads of cars on Magnetec 10w40.. Without issue, and 10w40 from memory is what all Subaru dealers were using..,

I've come to the conclusion that once your putting something decent in that's all that matters, and someone's warm up or lack of warm up procedure is going to have a far more adverse effect on an engine than whether it's Castrol, Millers, Motul etc etc..

It's only when you have an oil temp gauge or safety feature built into Ecu that you realise just how long it takes to get oil up to working temperature..

I used Millers CFS 5W40 nanodrive and
Motul 75w90 gear 300
I found TIM from Opie Oils very helpful.
You give him your car spec and he will advice you what best for your set up

Ya I use the nanodrive too. Sapose to be good gear. Dear though at 80e for 5ltrs. Millers do good gear oil too. Ring up millers ireland they are very helpful and quick safe delivery

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

Back