gear whine - discussion

Neelie

ok so here's the deal. i need opinions and pointers.

2001 leggy twin turbo manual has a whine from the front leaning towards driver's side.
its rev depending so rises and drops in relation to the rpm.
oil was changed a week ago and moly slip was added to see would it quieten it down. no difference.
i can feel a slight vibration/grinding feeling through the peddle under load.
also, when the car is cruising with no acceleration or deceleration (TOTALLY neutral), the sound is greatly reduced.....
under heavy load and higher rpm the sound gets worse and turns into more of a screaming sound
got a tranny expert to listen to it, said its the transfer box and that thats a common problem with these.
had a quick chat with a second person and he said its more likely front diff.

opinions? similar problems? is the transfer box bolted onto the gearbox or inside the box?
im confused with everyone saying something different ha.
many thanks if someone can shed a little light, as i do wanna sort it and start hunting (the correct) replacement part...

Last edited:
^^ yeah i dont know what it is, but i've decided to drive it till it becomes critical....
i've driven around with a noisy box for over 1 year before it got real bad, so ill wait till funds are better and then ill look into a new box.
if someone maybe had come along to say for sure what it would have been handy for me but im sure ill find out at a later stage :)
im going to presume its a bearing in the box, or release bearing in the clutch, although the symptoms dont match that 100% imo.

thanks ali for the reply btw. much appreciated and ill go away from the front diff idea for now :)

I think the reason very few people have replied is that it really could be anything . Drive , diff, front wheel bearing , replace bearing. My money's on release bearing or wheel bearing :) ;)

I thought I had a gearbox noise, turned out heat shield rubbing off front suffrage, might be worth checking

I think the reason few people replied is because it's impossible to diagnose online. I had a pain in my lower back before, typed it into google, turns out I either just need 2 days rest or I have Ebola and I should be dead by now. The internet Is a funny old place!! But its not great for getting accurate diagnosis of real problems that need actual professionals to investigate in person!!

I think the reason few people replied is because it's impossible to diagnose online. I had a pain in my lower back before, typed it into google, turns out I either just need 2 days rest or I have Ebola and I should be dead by now. The internet Is a funny old place!! But its not great for getting accurate diagnosis of real problems that need actual professionals to investigate in person!!

quality eli, ebola i love it, yeah self diagnosis is dangerous alright

haha good one LOL

its defo not wheel bearing as these were checked. defo not heat shields. so thats good to exclude.
release bearing is a maybe yes. but i fear i will just need to get a replacement box at some point ha.
its never as easy as "it was just the release bearing..." LOL

thanks for the replied guys. i totally understand that its near impossible to diagnose online.
just on the off-chance that someone could say for more certain :)

no sound from them though, its defo from the engine bay and more precisely where the wire wall is, driver's side.

lololololol ha ha ha ha ... pmsl ...

Back