garda & exhaust probs

rustysrally

Octane Boostaholics
hi all, think we might have a small prob in galway lol,

the other half was driving my blob in town yesterday and this nice garda spotted her spun around and followed her , he told her he puled her because of the loud exhaust, i have done nothing to it since i got it except change wheels, but the car did pass nct wit the exhaust thats on it, without the little baffel that can be put in the tail pipe, he gave me 10 days to change the plates and exhaust, now i done some reserch yesterday eve about noise levels, 99 decibels is irish limit and all internet info on how to measure it from 19 feet behind car in openspace with echo, any ideas or info on this weeeee prob, he was an asshole to her to be honest and im thinking of fighting this with him as i know his sargent, in my opinion it passed nct as it is so its fair game, he also theirs no silancer on it ????? all comments welcomed cheers rusty 2 best pics i have at the min

That problem is everywhere ???? I think your better off with standard plates these days cause it's just an excuse to stop ya. I have standard plates on everything now and don't seem get stopped as much.

Put standard plates on and put back in the baffle and call to station to talk to him about it and explain that it passed the Nct .If he still thinks it's to loud then it's up to him to measure it and prove it. He don't have a built in sound meter in his ear so doubt his word will stand up in court.

Without a test result that clearly states you are over the limit he cannot make you change the exhaust - burden of proof is on him in this case.

Most he can do at this point is require you to present the car to conduct a test to establish the exact dB level.

If you are under the level you are good, if over he can fine you and make you change the exhaust.

Chances are you are fine anyway as it passed NCT (did you see them test it? they only do if the think it is near or over the limit at the NCT)

I would change the plate and then go in to show that as soon as - you want to be seen to make some effort as no point escalating it to where you're going to be pulled over every 5 minutes because one of your local guards takes a dislike to you (can do without that agro).

Once plate OK just ask if he (or whatever guard on duty taking the details down into the book / system as proof that you "presented" within the 10 days) wants to do a dB test to establish the current noise level. Very unlikely they'll do the test as most do not have the equipment or are able to work it correctly. Once it is written in the book as OK then if you are stopped again you have a record of it having been presented as fine.

Very good points above.

Just to add, you don't want hassle of them there way to busy with the real criminals out there peacefully protesting the water rates. :icon_grin:

But serious he can just pull the "does your insurance company know about the mods" crap if you don't have them declared.

Change plates and stick in bung and go down the station is your best bet.

The new plates wer in the boot, as I said car is the way it was when I bought it, no it was my friends car he tested it last my turn in August, Ya I see what the Sargent says sat week that be the 10 days up

If your house was broken into I doubt they would be as interested. Just a jealous pri*k I'd bet . Had simular bother off a guard years ago complained about her to the Sargent who done a db test on the car and said it was well under the limit and he'd have a word . Never a bother since

Just put the new plates and that little thingie that will make the exhaust a bit less loud, show it to him and then remove the thing (keep standard plates tho, these ones are ugly anyways)

plates didn't pass an nct unless stevie wonder tested it as for the exhaust you'd love to get it tested and prove to the garda thats its ok

I fitted one of them to mine Gordon does the job. Only close it if there sitting in behind me.

Have heard that most aren't trained in using the testing equipment. To be done correctly has to be in an enclosed area. No wind or passing traffic as results can be effected. So they don't bother

:smokin:

Change plates and go down. Don't change anything else. If he keeps harassing you write a letter to the sergeant.

Back