subaru legacy primary turbo issues/swap

garyh

Sunday Drivers
well hello again, looks like i spending all of my evening here try to find solution
My00 legacy B4 Jdm rev c
my primary stated grinding noises upon i lift the pedal(from boost rev) also the spool got noisy too
its look like the primary is knackered, was adviced by mechanic earlier

so now the tricky part, i have no isuue to swap it as its a straight forward job ( like lego) but i found out the turbo is a
IHI vf25 now the car beeing manual i have an odd feling thats already a swap turbo as i heard the original manual turbos like VF26

should i go get vf26 or stay on vf25

also i know if its really a replacement turbo that could mean some other issue why the turbos die so quick... (lack of care maybe?)
car has 130K km in and i have no intension to get rid of
cheers

Yrah was thinking the same, first get a new turbo and i hook on a presure gauge too just to monitor,

i read a spec sheet once on all the IHI Turbos and the difference between the 25 and 26 is minuscule

by all means try and find a 26, I'm sure Subaru used it for a reason, however i wouldn't be too worried if you can only find a 25, you'll never tell the difference

can i ask... are you in limerick Gary?

sorry for late answer work was balllzz as usuall stupid hospilality

no based down cork

turned out all the noise comming from the turbo was due to a sticki HKS ssq and the backpressure was going back to primary
but stil now it raised consern why my primary was swaped in a first place
i seen the difference betveen 25-26 is very little ( faster spool a bit but 26 has bit more craft i have noticed the primary surge around 10psi and keep 9psi and the changover very bad drops down to 2-3 psi
but try to do a vidweo later and stick here some day soon

:goodjob:

that yoke came off runs much smooter
no noise just wastegate :):):) and thats i like
nct in 1st april than i need to find a noisy exhaust for my euro tri[p

Back