Fitting unpainted panels

Altezza-Dan

Octane Boostaholics
I plan to try fit my new headlights, wings and bumper this weekend to see if i have all parts and it fits nicely. The bumper seems to be just matt black plastic material but the wings are aluminium painted with what is probably matt black transport primer. Would it be ok to leave this fitted until i get the car resprayed? Im shopping around for quotes so they might be on a few weeks like this. It wont obviously look great but would save me having to remove the wings, bumper and headlights and put the old stuff back on. I just dont want to get weathered and that affecting the respray job, I think they should be ok since they are aluminium?

Pics for reference:

Anyone hear anything good about a place up in Ballybane near Grangecastle called Castle cars? My boss dropeed his Audi A6 in there to get a wing fixed and painted and rear bumper fixed up too. I'd be interested to see it in the light of day. He quoted approx 1500 euro to respray mine from the windows seals down for 1500 euro which isnt bad. And could knock more off that if i could do the prep work myself he said.

http://www.castlecars.ie/2030.html

I can organise something for ya Dan
Pm me tomorrow during day time
Busy tonight with other stuff :thumbsup:

[quote author=midlandbe5 link=topic=44143.msg509413#msg509413 date=1425589552]
Personally I would not leave unpainted panels on a car, aluminium or not :thumbsup:
[/quote]

May i ask why not?

[quote author=SCOOBYCOLM link=topic=44143.msg509408#msg509408 date=1425588687]
I can organise something for ya Dan
Pm me tomorrow during day time
Busy tonight with other stuff :thumbsup:
[/quote]

Getting your hair and nails done, ready for the weekend... i understand! I'll give you a shot tomorrow so :)

I wouldn't personally fit before painting as they would need to be off to prime and paint thoroughly edges and all. Aluminium doesn't rust but can corrode . However I recommend a trial fit to avoid trouble when they are freshly painted.

They will have to remove headlights, grill and front bumper to paint correctly.

1500 sounds pricey enough to me for a paint job from the window seals down.... And it wouldn't be something I would do, if it's like an impreza would remove the roof trim and trim around windows and finish the paint there... I wouldn't paint to rubbers.

[quote author=KENC link=topic=44143.msg509449#msg509449 date=1425592345]
They will have to remove headlights, grill and front bumper to paint correctly.

1500 sounds pricey enough to me for a paint job from the window seals down.... And it wouldn't be something I would do, if it's like an impreza would remove the roof trim and trim around windows and finish the paint there... I wouldn't paint to rubbers.
[/quote]

These are Dublin priced Ken!! He said in order to do the roof properly he would need to take out the front and rear windows.

If its not too much work i might just test fit it all and take them back off depending on how much work it is. Its only the first place i have checked and its pretty close to where i work so easy to get the car there and back.

Ill be fiiting it all up with the help of John b4 hopefully if anyone is bored the weekend and wants to help give us a shout! :)

As Kilfree said they rust and corrode very easily :thumbsup:
Even with any new plastic bumpers, trims etc we normally put them into spray booth on bake to get them to release any chemicals that may come out, it's stops any issues with paint peeling off afterwards

good advice alright. I still have to test fit them to make sure i have all the parts i need :) As i dont want the paint shop saying they dont fit if i just give them the parts and hope they fit!

He said up near the roof line and blow it into the roof. Anyway I saw their work in day light on the bosses car and I wasnt impressed so I'll keep looking around!

Sounds rough to me..

If they remove the trim that runs up the back window, along the roof, down the windscreen they can end the paint in there.. Run a mile

Back