Drive belts replacement 2000 type-r help wanted.

scooby.grrr

Sunday Drivers
Is it hard to replace the alternator and power steering belt and the one that turns the a/c compressor on my 2000 type-r impreza ?
One is a bit worn so i going to replace both, I have done few bits so hopefully i will be able to manage this.
Any idea on price for the two belts? can they be got in the local motor factor or do i need to order online.

thanks
James

circa €20 for both belts from any factors, 10 minute job to fit.
there should be guides online, hard to explain without pictures. basically loosen tensioners,remove, replace, retension.

Should I do both the inside
Belt is perfect looks like the alternator
Belt was rubbing off the guard or something.
I looked it up online and its simple job to do both

[quote author=BazGF8 link=topic=43977.msg507427#msg507427 date=1424083248]
Do both for the sake of €20
[/quote]

Thanks for the advice going to do both at the weekend
Better safe than sorry

Alternator belt: loosen bolts A and B a few threads then unscrew bolt C until you can remove the Alternator belt.

While Alternator belt is off remove and replace A/C belt as follows, loosen idler tensioner nut a few threads then loosen belt tensioner bolt until you can remove the belt.

Replace A/C belt with the writing on the belt reading the right way round as you look at it from the front of the car.
tighten belt tensioner bolt until belt is reasonably taut ( not like the string of a guitar, it should not play a tune when plucked) there should be around 1/2 inch deflection at belt tension point ( longest unsupported part of the belt) shown in picture.

then tighten idler tensioner nut and recheck belt tension.

fit alternator belt with writing facing you again

tighten bolt C until belt is tensioned as A/C belt.

tighten bolts A and B.
done.

Attachments

• alternator belt.jpg
    alternator belt.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 11
  • air con belt.jpg
    air con belt.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 9
  • alternator belt.jpg
    alternator belt.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 11
  • air con belt.jpg
    air con belt.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 10
Thanks seanie great help and thanks for the photos and advice it will be very helpful
going to do it Thursday coming

Back