Legacy whining engine sound

drifterex

Sunday Drivers
I'm getting a whining sound at idle from my legacy. I thought it was an alternator belt, so I removed them and had a look, and when I fit the belts back into the car, the sound went, but after a 20 min drive it came back. Is this just new belts needed or is it possible signs of something else? The steering is heavy on full lock when the whining/squeeking noise is there incidentally

Cant hear any whining there , just a scraping sound, could be the a/c tensionor pulley bearing or the bearings in the altenator. the car going dead id just you're battery going dead from lack of driving , maybe time for a new one, cold weather kills them

[quote author=BazGF8 link=topic=43938.msg506894#msg506894 date=1423683316]
Cant hear any whining there , just a scraping sound, could be the a/c tensionor pulley bearing or the bearings in the altenator. the car going dead id just you're battery going dead from lack of driving , maybe time for a new one, cold weather kills them
[/quote]

for bearings would used parts be worthwhile, or would it be a main dealer job?

[quote author=drifterex link=topic=43938.msg506912#msg506912 date=1423686220]
[/quote]

[/quote]

First of all find out which it is. Take off the a/c belt and start the engine, if the noise is gone its the tensior pulley, they can be bought new cheap enough complete whole new pulley, or get a second one with a good smooth bearing, might have one.

If it not the a/c tensioner pulley its most likely the alternator , you can go second hand or get it reconned with new bearings

[quote author=BazGF8 link=topic=43938.msg506918#msg506918 date=1423686655]
[quote author=drifterex link=topic=43938.msg506912#msg506912 date=1423686220]
[/quote]

[/quote]

First of all find out which it is. Take off the a/c belt and start the engine, if the noise is gone its the tensior pulley, they can be bought new cheap enough complete whole new pulley, or get a second one with a good smooth bearing, might have one.

If it not the a/c tensioner pulley its most likely the alternator , you can go second hand or get it reconned with new bearings
[/quote]

I'll have a look tomorrow after work. Thanks a lot.

Back