a knocking from the rear

W

wasps rfc

i have noticed a knocking sound coming from the rear passenger side of my car. i have checked to make sure the rear seats weren't loose and the there was nothing in the boot that could be the cause.

is a series 8 sti (06 yr) so i wondered whether there are any inherant problems that might be the cause

it is more pronounced at low speed, well in that its the only time i here it

someone has already suggested it is the rear shocks but advised that there are problems with Subaru changing these under warranty??!!

any further ideas

many thanks

you will have to find out exactly what warranty subaru gives with the car as i dont know coz have never bought a new car from them. some manufacturers warranties state a time and mileage limit and also dont cover serviceable items, subaru might consider shocks a serviceable item. but if you only have low mileage on the car then id fight them over it, dont let it go.

George

I actually have the exact same problem lately with my 04 wrx, thought was maybe something i had done to cause it

my car is going back next thursday for a PPP. i spoke with the service manager today and mentioned this knocking noise. he said it did seem to be rife across the yes for the STi and subaru are yet to find remedy for the problem. they have replaced numerous shocks under warranty but have to fight really hard with subaru to get them changed. as a stop gap they are looking to insert a rubber nipple to stop the knocking but on their own admission this is purely an interim measure

what dealership are you with?

Unfortunately I bought mine off a second hand car dealer. I know I got a 12 month warrenty with it but dunno if this will cover something like shocks or not

they should do if you argue strong enough

i know that they may offer to recondition them for you but that is only a short term remedy.

it was suggested too me that you could replace the shocks with a set of coilovers but it may be a little uncomfortable for irish roads.

failing that there is a company is the uk, the midlands, that believe they have come up with a solution. i'll try and find the details for you

Back