making my STI reliable advice

M

Maurice

Hi all,

Im a new old member :ponder:
been away from scoobs for a while and am back in the seat of a V4 type r (factory standard) and im looking for advice on upgrades to make it a reliable everyday car. What im looking for is the "essential" upgrades + costs in your experience. I will also be using the car for occasional track days.

First of all is a re-map to 95 (with booster?) so what ecu do you recommend + how much? and from reading the site you all rate andy F so how do I arrange him to do it and how much?

full service of all oils+belts etc. I have Silkolene pro s 10w 50 fully synthethic and silkolene silk trans for box etc. Is this grade of oil ok? whats the best plugs to use?

should i uprate fuel and oil pumps? if so with what? also as i will be doing a few track days should i uprate the sump to avoid starvation?

To keep an eye on things i want to get a knocklink and defi gauges in centre pod, which clocks will i get? was thinking oil pressure/oil + water temp ? (already have factory boost gauge but its a bit small)

I want to uprate the handling also and reading japanese performance magazine they rate the whiteline bushings and rear anti-roll bar kits upgrade, anyone got experience of this kit?
They also rate the eibach 25mm lowering springs but any car ive driven with lowering springs has been awful on the road!

In time i want to upgrade the brakes to APs but for the meantime im thinking of getting brake cylinder bracket and Ferrodo pads on standard discs, what do think?

They also recommend ERLs aquamist water injection system to help reduce temps and detonation, anyone got any experience and what cost?

A LOT of questions i know but any help appreciated

Thanks

Maurice

Welcome back :thumbsup:

Some quick answers:

First of all is a re-map to 95 (with booster?) so what ecu do you recommend + how much? and from reading the site you all rate andy F so how do I arrange him to do it and how much?

I think you will probably need a Apexi ECU and keep an eye on the site for when Andy is coming over.

full service of all oils+belts etc. I have Silkolene pro s 10w 50 fully synthethic and silkolene silk trans for box etc. Is this grade of oil ok?

Sounds fine :thumbsup:

To keep an eye on things i want to get a knocklink and defi gauges in centre pod, which clocks will i get? was thinking oil pressure/oil + water temp ? (already have factory boost gauge but its a bit small)

I would reccomend getting the oil pressure and temp gauges.

They also recommend ERLs aquamist water injection system to help reduce temps and detonation, anyone got any experience and what cost?

I'm not too sure if you really need this?

Anyway I'm sure the rest of the lads will be along shortly to give you more advise :thumbsup:

Alan.

Hey Mr Ronan, you finally got sense again!!! Welcome back, get the Apexi and get it mapped by the baldy guy from Scotland, can't go wrong. He is an official Irishman (maybe he could play for Staunton) so he will be here on a regular basis. But before he works his witchcraft you have to get rid of the cats, I know cats and witches go hand in hand but AndyF don't like them.  Get a straight through( after trhe NCT) exhaust and you will get full benefit of his magic.

Alan
Yakshimash!!!

Well Alan hows tricks!
You mean welcome back you finally lost your senses again!!
Yea thats the plan, an ecu+map,fuel pump,gauges,exhaust etc
oh no here i go again :hang:

Welcome Back, About the eibach springs- I've had them in both my Imprezas and don't find them too harsh at all. I got My V4 STI mapped with Mr Forrest but got it mapped for 95 plus Octane booster to bring it up to 98.
Well woth it. :thumbsup: I also have a knocklink fitted. If you go far an Apexi reeplacement ECU it has a knock meter on it and the check engine light is programmed to act as a knock light also for extra safety or "belt and Braces" as Andy said :D
Cheers
John

[quote author=JohnM link=topic=571.msg4337#msg4337 date=1160669594]
Welcome Back, About the eibach springs- I've had them in both my Imprezas and don't find them too harsh at all. I got My V4 STI mapped with Mr Forrest but got it mapped for 95 plus Octane booster to bring it up to 98.
Well woth it. :thumbsup: I also have a knocklink fitted. If you go far an Apexi reeplacement ECU it has a knock meter on it and the check engine light is programmed to act as a knock light also for extra safety or "belt and Braces" as Andy said :D
Cheers
John
[/quote]

Thats good to know John, thanks

hi, i had a v6 sti and got andy f to remap it , i used pf7rb plugs, full sraight through system. ninja back box, and open throat down pipe, walbro fuel pump, green stuff panel filter, got it remaped for 95 oct, every one said at time that i should of mepped for booster but to be honest i found it great not having to use it and just pulling in and filling up normal, the car was boostig 1.3 bar with this set uo and had massive torque, it was mental to go, renno drove the car i beleive in this spec and couldnt beleive the performance without booster, i would defo reckon at least 300bhp on 95 oct, it was 00 so it was fresh engine, maybe this helped, i got tek 3 map on original ecu but you wnt have this option, you may go apexi but if doing again i would go apexi aswell for simple reason guys like martin treacy can tweak it for small mods instead of waiting on andy or going to ttm galway, i was going to get maped for booster but dif would be 10 12 bhp maybe gain.. on the aquamist, no one here in ireland know much bout it, try scooby net and put in water injection in search, cheap version is aroun 700 euro and is boost activated other is ecu activated and more exp but really hi tec, you need motec or gems to run it.. it is extremely affective and in japaneses performance mag on there project car sti ra it dropped inlet charges by up to 50% and could advance the timing considerably, if its not mapped for seemingly you can feel slight hesitation when it firsts activates with boost, my verdict is still out on fmic (renno will kill me) but water injection is a defo alternative to fmic, i feel fmic take away the back road rapid ness out of the scooby and maybe loose the unmistakable feel.. white line are ment to be amazing, ment to do away with understeer with i think 3 degrees negative camber up front and 1.5 at rear set up.. i may look that up do . it is always good to upgrade your oil pump and if i had the time and money and with track days in mind i would look at things like,1 oil cooler..2 remote oil filter i.e take it away from manifold and 3 maybe look at a deepere sump or baffled one to stop the oil sticking to one side of sump and starving bearings if using sticky tyres on track .. i fitted all the gear myself and got it from renno, he will help you ne way with good advice, which is very important.. there will be plenty of lads to give you bad advice but few with good.. on the oil subject i may upset people again.. i asked eddie garrys head subaru mechanic, who is over the rally cars and he said 10W 40..... i asked andy f in front of renno i migtht add and he said .. wait for it 10W 40 for a roiad car that does so many cold starts u need protection from start alot of higher spec oils are for 10 starts a year competition car, so waist of money buy exp oil buy CASTROL MAGNETEC 10W 40 AND CHANGE IT EVERY 3500 MILES INSTEAD OF THESE EXP 5W TIS AND 0W THAT OIL, AND CHANGING 7000 MILES.. i reckon plenty of fresh oil is better than seldom over spec oil.. hope that helps you

Hey Ken. You will have to get a spin in Dave Lewis new car  :p to see how the front mount is working. Thats right I remember that Andy uses 10-40 in his normal cars and 15-50 in the his 2.33 car.

He said to a bloke who asked him the last time he was over to use 10-40 or 15-50 and to use the best Oil you can afford. Id wait if I where him to fit an Oil cooler, if your geting high temps well and good but it will take even longer to get to a safe operating temp.

Damo

Thanks KENC

good advice there, yea uprating the sump is a must for track days and fitting an oil cooler. I Didnt think about the remote oil filter...must check it out.

:thumbsup:

i was just wondering, i cant really make sense of why ali burrows and the likes recomend these oils??? i dnt doubt there experience or anything but for just the interest of it id love for one of them to explain why, and the merits of it, after all the specified oil for all scooby is semi synthetic 10 w 40, and thats even for the new sti that you will buy to day.. if any knows more or different please correct me... and that the use of any other type of oil would void warranty on a covered car by subaru??? this guy i talked to in eddie garrys really knew his stuff.. which i was suprised by in a main dealer but i think the rally experience was his best attribute, i cant remem,ber exactly the full conversation i had but he said and i am only repeating.. to use 10w 40 but if i wanted to waist my money and not have best protection to do so but to under no circumstances to use MOBIL oil>> he said if you rang mobil and told them the car was asubaru they would tell you not to aswell.... now he only said mobil he went no further than that........ yea i may get spin in daves new car.. my old one :wall: :wall: :wall: :shoot: all your freaking fault damo :angry: :lol: but away from all that hope you found the info usefull maurice, remote oil filtr would be good as it wnt be boiled in between manifold any more,, but any in crease in oil volume or distance to travel will to be safe need uprated oil pump, but prob either1 needed a oil cooler or remote filter.. but be careful when you put any of theses on, ive seen a few cars go bang at drifting events and main causes are, oil cooler pipe comming off, and empty engine of oil

I used Mobil 1 15-50 for a fair while with no problems. Im using Motul 15-50 now. Its one of those things that most people seem to have a different opinion on. Even the likes of the major companys and tuners cant agree.

ah but you and me will agree damo......... im right and your wrong :twofinger: :D :D :D :D yea ur right there, every one has there own view and preferences,for example i like curvy blonde gud luking women with no morels and damo likes hairy badly groomed mexican men... it doesnt mean he's wrong,... just thats his preference :nana:

:lol:

Thanks Ken, interesting what you say about the oil as francis (eamon ryans subaru main dealer) said the same to me when he was changing the oil in my last car, a GT11, to only use 10W 40 SEMI-syntethic oil...

Maurice

Back