Anyone recognise this?

Wagon Rob

Octane Boostaholics
Was trying to trace the source of a ticking noise under the bonnet this afternoon when I heard a hissing noise. Turned out to be this connector sucking in air. I could only see one lose hose nearby which was plugged with a screw but when I connected it the engine seemed to labour and nearly stall.

So I'm wondering if anyone knows what this should connect to? In case it isn't clear is at the back off the inlet manifold on the drivers side.

6238c8ce666bdef8327eb50bddc5536b.jpg

Help please!

Sent from my Note 3 using Tapatalk so please excuse typos

That connects to the fuel pressure regulator just under that where the fuel rail is , from memory I think the hose is about 3-4 inches long .

Get that sorted straight away as the fueling will be affected.

Skinny vaccum line 2-3mm internal diameter

Brilliant! Thanks Baz. Will get it sorted in the morning when I have daylight again - tis going no-where for the night anyway.

You were spot on Baz - nothing on the FPR at all so joined the two of them up with some vacuum hose I had. Probably about double the length you said. Thanks again. Karma added last night.

Well it seems that sorting one issue has created another - its stalling once warm. As an example when coming up to trafic lights and dip the clutch the revs die. If I blip the throttle I can save it most times and then it'll settle into idling revs.

Is there some idle control valve or something that I can adjust to fix this? Really don't want to have to pull off the hose again to sort this until it's next in the garage.

Hi Rob did anyone that knows scooby's ever check the car over?

Might be worth getting it looked at profesionally?

Ciaran WRX

Well I take it to Mark Murphy in Douglas for most of the work and he came highly recommended on here for his knowledge on Subaru's. We're steadily working through things on the car and the vacuum and boost control lines are among the areas that haven't been tackled yet.

Righo Rob

Would have thought if it was checked and serviced someone would have noticed them hoses being wrong that's all.

Sounds like a pain hope you get it sorted [emoji106]

Ciaran WRX

The last couple of replies aroused my curiosity so I checked through some old photos on my phone and sure enough there is photo dated 4 days after I got the car which shows a hose connected to the nipple on the manifold which terminated on top of the manifold with a self-tapping screw in the end of it. Based on what I discovered yesterday it would seem that this hose frayed at the nipple end exposing it and making the hissing sound. Maybe there was some air sneaking past the screw all along but once the hose cracked it became more audible.

As for the lack of connector on the FPR - I have no explaination for that at all.

Will have to call in to mechanic later in the week as its definitely a strange one - and I still have the ticking noise that sounds like a leaking gasket. Maybe the whole lot is somehow connected and I've missed something. :dontknow:

Ok good job

I'd get it looked at tomorrow though ticking noises in subarus are usually not good

Ciaran WRX

Could well just be an idle control valve but that's a guess . Someone did that purposely with the vac line I reckon

Back