Laptop trouble

KENC

ISDC Club Member
Lads I have an old Acer aspire laptop here, probably 6-7 years old, the last time it was switched on the picture on the screen looked to be broke up and colours were weird, you could vaguely make out the the home screen etc etc...
Now there is no image at all, screen remains black but the laptop sounds to be booting up... But there isn't a flicker on the screen....

I tried hooking it up to TV but nothing seems to happen either...

Would this be a graphics card problem or screen problem... It hasn't gotten any bangs to the screen so I don't think it's damaged as such..
Another thing I noticed was that the hard drive was making the usual noise but when I closed down the screen it didn't stop... I always thought it went into sleep mode when screen was closed down before??
Any ideas??

Did it have black screen and red and green lines down the screen before it went black all together?

Ciaran WRX

could be a few things ken
video cable video card etc
if you get it up to dublin via post ill look at it for you if helps :thumbsup:

If it is not showing up anything when connecting to external screen=vga is gone. But if other symptophs, might be loose cable or pług either In a screen or MB end.

Yeah the screen is completely black, not showing any signs of life at all...
The last time it worked it was like the picture was fragmented and broken up and colour was gone mad lol.. I think it did turn on one time ok after this... But now there is not a dicky bird lol... You know yourselves it's not worth spending money on really, it it was a cheap simple fix I wouldn't mind doing it so the young one can mess on it.

I used to leave it to a guy before to fix the power plug, get a week or so and it would go again, had a look myself and it hadn't broke since 2-3 years ago lol so he has got his p.45 :)

sounds knackered Ken, probably from all them durty movies you were lookign at on it! Takes it toll on the ol' laptops!

If it doesnt output to tv either it is probably more than likely the ribbon cable from screen to motherboard got damaged based on what you said. Is that the same one i looked at for you a few years back?

If your up this way anytime i can have a look if needed.

Back