Cloth Seats

Sheriff

Octane Boostaholics
Not sure if this exactly fits in this category of the forum but I have a little problem. I can't drive at the moment due to a medical condition so the car is currently sitting until the start of June.

I try to start it everyday and air it out but recently I have busy with work and don't have time to attend to it as much. The other day I opened it and some kind of mould was forming on the belts and seats inside the car. I've never seen anything like this before. Would it be because the car had been receiving no ventilation for over two weeks outside in the rain?

[quote author=Sheriff link=topic=43549.msg500470#msg500470 date=1419336000]
Not sure if this exactly fits in this category of the forum but I have a little problem. I can't drive at the moment due to a medical condition so the car is currently sitting until the start of June.

I try to start it everyday and air it out but recently I have busy with work and don't have time to attend to it as much. The other day I opened it and some kind of mould was forming on the belts and seats inside the car. It's very easy to wipe of and get rid of but still, I'd rather be safe.

I've never seen anything like this before. Would it be because the car had been receiving no ventilation for over two weeks outside in the rain?
[/quote]

Happened to my wagon when i had it lying up for 6 months.

Best thing i found is those wipes, the anti bacteria ones you can buy.

Wipes the stuff away and stops it growing back for a while.

Maybe leave a window down a couple of cm if you can.

I have very large silica gel packs that I have in my track car to help stop this, have a few spare, your welcome to them, I'm based in Lucan/Celbridge area if that's any use to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone. Have been leaving the windows down now. Might try having a look in Woodies so for something. Couldn't make it to Celbridge, I'm in Galway. Very much appreciated though! :)

Go to a pet store buy kitty litter stick into a a sock or two fire em under the seats job done

Super absorbant stuff

Ciaran WRX

Moukd can only grow if the bacteria is there for it to multiply in the first place so the likes of the belts have bacteria on them from dirty hands. Rub down all surfaces like belts, dash, and any other non fabric surfaces with antibacterial all purpose cleaner. On the seats, carpet, I first used a wet VAC to remove dirt, etc, then used a steam machine to deep clean the fabric. This killed nearly all bacteria and the car sat in the open for 18 months with only tiny mould spots to deal with when it was finally to be used again. After doing all this, ensure you run the car on full heat with the window slightly open until everything is completely dry. This was my sisters car and she had nothing else in it to absorb moisture so it really helps.

To help with the humidity mix some dry rice and salt and leave it open inside the car. Or Halfords also sell 1kg dehumidifer bags too that you could use.

Or silica gel like eli has, I'm still using some he gave to me. Also never heard of the kitty litter sticks but if they work, great, its just about using whatever you can to take the moisture out of the car.

[quote author=Ciaran WRX link=topic=43549.msg500476#msg500476 date=1419338314]
Go to a pet store buy kitty litter stick into a a sock or two fire em under the seats job done

Super absorbant stuff

Ciaran WRX

[/quote]
only heard of this trick a week or two ago somewhere online .

If at all possible whip the seats out and leave them in the house beside a radiator to dry out, leaving the windows open whilst sitting out in the rain and cold is counter productive as a certain amount of moisture will still get into the car and the mold will continue to grow. When seats are dry stick in the gel packs / kitty litter and they will keep her right for you.

Back