Outback 2.5 rebuild

Neil_Ireland

Sunday Drivers
Hi all,

I've a 2004 outback that has developed a knock, I came back from holidays and it looks like it was driven when low on oil. It has developed a slight knock on idle.

What's my best course of action, look for a replacement engine or have my own rebuilt?
Who around Dublin would take on the job?

if your keeping the car put it on a trailer and take it to ali burrows and have it done properly ,if selling it in the near future stick a second hand unit in and just get it up and running

[quote author=WAGON DEC link=topic=43437.msg498691#msg498691 date=1417813884]
if your keeping the car put it on a trailer and take it to ali burrows and have it done properly ,if selling it in the near future stick a second hand unit in and just get it up and running
[/quote]
Thanks.

I still need to drive it, I know I shouldn't but I've no choice at the moment.
Any rough idea on rebuild cost?

you would need to contact ali for a rough price it will depend on what damage is done and the amount of parts needed

[quote author=WAGON DEC link=topic=43437.msg498695#msg498695 date=1417814354]
you would need to contact ali for a rough price it will depend on what damage is done and the amount of parts needed
[/quote]

Thanks. I'll contact them.

It would be a shame to scrap it, I've just had bushings, drop links, wheel bearings and new tyres fitted. Plus the dreaded tax paid lol.

Driving it will only make it worse Neil and will cost more to repair advise parking it till its looked at and fixed

Yes definitely park it up now
Go buy a yaris/micra/starlet for 500 to 1000 euro then sell it on after you'll get your money back on the small car.

Just prepare yourself it's problery not going to be a cheap fix

Ciaran WRX

Unfortunately I have to drive it for the next week or so, I've no other way of getting to work tomorrow or next week.

I had Forester with a knocking engine. Ran it like this almost a year and then it was sold to next person who is driving it until now almost 3 years without any fix applied. It was 98' 2l AT. I know it's two different engines, but I don't see why few weeks would do much damage. Knocking stops after engine heats up and parts expand. Don't drive hard and service if u have bobo and love the car. I didn't fix coz no money and found a buyer who didn't mind the knocking.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

[quote author=scoobysub link=topic=43437.msg498768#msg498768 date=1417890008]
What kind of oil were you using in it
[/quote]

5w30 was put in at the last service according to the invoice, I've been topping up with the same.

Yeah sound is a bit different from what I had. Rob u r right, it was pistol slap in my case. Dunno if here it's same

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

Back