PDA

View Full Version : Winter Tyres

Rob Spec C
02-12-2014, 09:58
Getting a set for the missus for the winter in the coming days, I was looking on camskill and nearly all of their "winter tyres" are listed as snow tyres or have snow in the name. Is there a difference or are all winter tyres for snow?

Just don't want them burning off the car if we don't get the winter we're expecting..

wagon dec
02-12-2014, 10:14
Most winter tyres are classed as mud and snow, so they would say m+s or could say snow on them

JAMIE-TYPERV6
02-12-2014, 11:08
Don't bother Robbie... This harsh winter they are talking about is a load of bollox. It's been the mildest on record to date for some time. I bought winter tyres after 2010... And ive had no reason to use then even living up in the hills.

Rob Spec C
02-12-2014, 21:56
Thanks Dec, was wondering alright, seems after a bit more digging they review them in the cold, wet and snow for combined ratings. Either looking at the Continental WinterContact TS 850, Michelin Alpin A4 or Goodyear UltraGrip 9, there's only pennies in the difference in price and checking reviews, it seems to be a toss up, although the Continental seems to have got more awards this year :wall:

@ J - I'd be more worried about what its gonna be like in January/February, and while I know it could just as easily be the warmest winter on record if I buy them, it'll undoubtedly the coldest, snowy winter if I don't. So the lesson here is that if you want a good winter, I'll take donations to my winter tyres, ha ha :roll:

JAMIE-TYPERV6
02-12-2014, 22:30
You may well be right. They have been spouting on about how it'll be the worst in 100 years... and then I read the other day that it may go the other way and be the warmest. How a vague a forecast is that! :facepalm

Also, the "experts" predicting this are neither UK or Irish based meteorologists... the Irish and UK lads are saying they won't predict any further than 1/2 week down the road! :falldownlaugh:

Confidence inspiring bunch really!

Rob Spec C
02-12-2014, 22:37
Ah, they haven't got a clue at all, never have and never will. Better off listening to the sheep whisperer in New Zealand that has great craic randomly predicting the weather :lol2

Just going with the philosophy, I'd rather have them and not need them than need them and not have them. Well, for the woman anyway, want to keep her safe, she has all the access to the accounts :lol2

Keadeen
02-12-2014, 23:05
Personally think you can't beat the snow tyres.

M+S is right and can drive them year round if you want in Ireland as hardly ever gets really hot here. The Tucson has Nankang SV2 on it year round and last set lasted 50k kms and still had enough meat on them to be legal, but changed them as snow forecast and want a bit more thread on them then (over 3mm).

Don't get studded winters as they are not allowed here and make sure M+S marking on it as some makes have a snow-flake or "alpine mountain" logo, but they are not snow tyres (look up on manufacturer site to ensure they are proper winter compound if in doubt).

Even if no snow, but just cold (under 10 degrees), they grip better and also typically they deal with standing water better due to big evacuation pattern for the snow.

Best snow tyre I ever had are Nokian WR G2 - crazy amount of grip in the snow.

Have winters on the Audi and have a set for the Hawk too... as both of them are performance cars I do run them on summer tyres from April till November.

Rob Spec C
02-12-2014, 23:18
These are the considerations:

1. http://camskill.co.uk/m94b0s729p112417/Continental_Tyres_Winter_Snow_Car_Continental_Cont iWinterContact_TS850_Continental_Conti_Winter_Cont act_TS_850_-_165_70_R14_81T_TL_Fuel_Eff_%3A_E_Wet_Grip%3A_C_No iseClass%3A_2_Noise%3A_71dB

2. http://camskill.co.uk/m94b0s729p101807/Michelin_Tyres_Winter_Snow_Car_Michelin_Alpin_A4_-_165_70_R14_81T_TL_Fuel_Eff_%3A_F_Wet_Grip%3A_C_No iseClass%3A_2_Noise%3A_70dB

3. http://camskill.co.uk/m94b0s729p100599/Pirelli_Tyres_Winter_Snow_Car_Pirelli_W190_Winter_ SnowControl_Serie_2_Pirelli_W_190_-_165_70_R14_81T_TL_Fuel_Eff_%3A_F_Wet_Grip%3A_B_No iseClass%3A_2_Noise%3A_71dB

4. http://camskill.co.uk/m94b0s729p124192/Goodyear_Tyres_Winter_Snow_Car_Goodyear_UltraGrip_ 9_-_165_70_R14_81T_TL_Fuel_Eff_%3A_E_Wet_Grip%3A_B_No iseClass%3A_1_Noise%3A_68dB

The conti's and Michelin seem to get the best reviews of 2014 tyres but then you look at the links and they are only rated class C in the wet whereas the pirelli and goodyear are B :ponder2:

JAMIE-TYPERV6
02-12-2014, 23:22
I've Nankang NV2's as well... had them on the car all summer and they were fine... no wear whatsoever and they got some good use. :icon_biggrin:

Not great in the warm weather though... a bit wallowy and soft.. but I'm sure your missus isn't going to be ripping up the tarmac!

Kilfree
02-12-2014, 23:51
Esb specifies winter tyres all year round. I don't see any problem unless it's a scorcher of a summer.
We had Hancook winter tyres last year on the S Max but it turned out mild but they wore fine .

Rob Spec C
02-12-2014, 23:59
Thanks lads, gonna choose between the continental and michelin in the morning, leaning toward the continental after checking out the reviews so 90% going with them :thumbsup:

CiaranBC5
03-12-2014, 00:05
As said above by Charles the winter tyre works best at low temperatures, the difference between your standard tyre (or summer tyre) to the winter tyre is supposed to be unreal. Never had them but if we get the weather were apparently going to get, winter tyres would be a great investment .

wagon dec
03-12-2014, 00:22
I think winter tyres are a load of bollox if ya good tyres on your car it's safe end of, and the ****ing road noise off the winter tyres would wreck your head, ok if ya lived in Sweden or Norway but not here

BazGF8
03-12-2014, 00:58
I think winter tyres are a load of bollox if ya good tyres on your car it's safe end of, and the ****ing road noise off the winter tyres would wreck your head, ok if ya lived in Sweden or Norway but not here

+1

Federal
03-12-2014, 01:34
Rob try check oponeo.ie for Nokian winter tyres.

I find winter tyres great here in Ireland couple years ago :) but I got them very cheap and it was second hand:)

scoobysub
03-12-2014, 08:14
Massive difference between winter and standard tyres but as said. We. Really don't get the weather here and also 17" Winter tyres are not cheap

BazGF8
03-12-2014, 09:49
Pro parts selling them cheap enough

Rob Spec C
03-12-2014, 10:05
For the sake of €230 delivered for a set of some of the best winter tyres going, I'd rather have them here in case it does snow. But even if it doesn't, just feel the cold the last few mornings, winter tyres with different compounds and thread patterns will make a difference. Now granted they may not make a huge difference to someone who can react to changing conditions but for someone who can't or doesn't know how, then they could make all the difference, especially when always travelling at the worst possible times, early morning and late evening.

Rob Spec C
03-12-2014, 10:08
Pro parts selling them cheap enough

New or second hand Baz?

BazGF8
03-12-2014, 10:09
As far as I know both Robbie

keith dublin
03-12-2014, 10:34
The old man had them on his car big difference in his and mine

Grahamo spec c
05-12-2014, 08:17
I've a brand new set of 175/70/14 winter tyres, there if you want them.
Vredestein Arctrac.
Make me an offer :thumbsup:

Notorious
06-12-2014, 15:34
I'm so surprised to see people who say there is no difference in winter summer tyres once you have loads of thread on summer tires. Summer tires looses all there preferences as soon as it's around 4 PLUS. It gets rock hard and u loose the grip.
Best winter tires for me are Blizzak from Bridgestone or Nokian Hakeppalita. Very soft, very good grip on ice even the studless version. Since we don't get temperatures below 5 or more that much above tires are little overkill, but you would be 100% sure you are ready for what ever nature throughs at you. Any part worn decent brand winter tire will out perform new summer tire when it's +2 -5 (and below) range of temperature.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

Rob Spec C
06-12-2014, 17:23
Bought a set from camskill.co.uk earlier in the week, Goodyear UltraGrip 9 I ended up going with after looking through the most recent tyre tests. It ended up between them and the Continentals, the contisport probably had the edge but they were out of stock. Should be here on Tuesday.

FYI - Oponeo.ie seem to be very competitive on certain tyres and definitely worth checking for people in future :thumbsup:

dontommy
06-12-2014, 19:24
When lm drooling on the wheels theads on nasioc l noticed that most of the times they are w***** with blizzacs

eliroche
15-12-2014, 21:33
http://www.carthrottle.com/discuss/Mb0S0c/
Video of a forester on summer tyres vs an M3 on winter tyres.
I didnt think it would make this much of a difference, must be awful tyres on the subaru.

keith dublin
15-12-2014, 22:06
Austria
Winter tyres
From 1 November to 15 April it is obligatory during winter conditions to have winter tyres on all four wheels or snow chains on the drive wheels (can also be combined).
Snow chains may only be used if they cannot damage the road surface. The entire road must therefore be covered with snow or ice. Not using winter tyres or snow chains can affect your liability for an accident and result in prosecution.

If they have them they must work
my old man had them on all year round because he couldn't get out of the driveway one year after that he never had that problem again I'm a big fan of them way more grip out of them

przemcio007
15-12-2014, 22:26
Any winter tire even part worn will be better than any summer tire. It is rubber compound that they are made from.
If temp is dropping below 7degress it is advised In Poland to change tires to winter type. Breaking distance is noticable shorter.
Lets just say that any winter tire are still keeping parametrs even on -10 degrees and below. Summer tires are like bricks on such trmperatures. Here in Ireland we are not getting such conditions so for those who havent seen Real snow and low temperatures is hard to imagine that there is so big difference.
Thats my 5c on it.

Rob Spec C
16-12-2014, 00:04
Put them on the wife's car late last week, baring in mind the "summer" tyres on it past the nct a week earlier, I felt a huge difference in grip when driving on the last couple of icy cold mornings. I left her off to work in it today and she picked me up and the first thing she said was how much better and stable the car felt on the road, and this from a woman who couldn't tell her arse from her elbow around cars :lol2

I know we don't usually suffer really bad winters, but for the sake of €250 all in fitted and all, it's worth it for piece of mind with her and the kids that it gives the car the best possible chance.