Snapped dipstick

gtpeadar

Petrolheads
The dipstick on the Missus' Cooper S snapped when I was checking the oil earlier. Thankfully it all came out as both bits were still slightly attached.
Is it ok to drive a few miles if i snip where the break is and put the top part back in just to plug the top of the dipstick tube? I'm thinking, as long as the opening is plugged evreything will be as normal, just cant check oil level! Picking up new dipstick tomorrow

Cheers :thumbsup:

The same happened to my wife’s old cooper S a few years ago, it’s a common fault with the cooper S due to the almost 90deg bend and eth heat of the engine they break a few inches into the dipstick tube…
You are blessed, do not put it back in broken as if it breaks off in the wrong place it’s a sump off job to remove. I would order a new one and break off the lower part if you have to drive for a few days…. Put a small bit of grease on the shaft of the new one before fitting ;-)

Mark

Thanks lads. I read about the snapping dipstick problem when she bought the car and rang a dealer about getting a new one just as a precaution a couple of months ago. Was told there was no need at all and of course him being an expert talked down to me like I was worrying over nothing. Collecting a new one tomorrow (not from that particular dealer!!)
Thanks for the grease idea Mark!

Back