Strange fuel gauge issue

Wagon Rob

Octane Boostaholics
Maybe its a common thing - hopefully someone on here has a suggestion. :ponder:

Since we bought the car I've been brimming it every time I get fuel. Rarely ever let it get to the quarter mark before filling it again.

However last Sunday it went lower than it's ever been and took 47l to fill (twas pretty much on fumes). :oops:

So over the following few days I noticed that the fuel gauge is barely moving. 70 miles the first day - needle stayed at full. Another 70 the second day ... tiny bit of movement. Day 3 and I've covered 210 miles - the needle would usually be getting close to the quarter mark but its only barely below the three quarter mark. From logging my consumption I know myself that its close to where I'd normally refill so this morning I brimmed it with €54. Have driven another 70 miles since and the needle is still on full which I know isn't right. :wtf:

May or may not be related, but over the past 2 weeks I've noticed a distinctive smell of fuel inside the cabin after I've filled the car. Usually disappears after I've used some of it.

Anyone any ideas?

from my experience when i fill up every week it takes a good 100km for the needle to move from full to the first quarter but then it starts to get quicker i usually get 250-300 km max from 60 ish euro a week never go under the last quarter also i used to get a smell off petrol from cabin turned out to be a hose from fuel filter had loads off small cracks in it

Prior to this week the most is ever gotten before the needle would move was 37 miles (based on 25 fill ups). Another thing for the mechanic to check out for me before NCT

Smell of petrol could b from fuel filter as its located beside air vent in engine bay, I had that problem once, fuel filter was leaking,

Could this be the petrol sender? It could be leaking and not sending the correct reading through the gauge! Take out the rear bench and check around for petrol under the carpet! Then start the car and listen for any hissing/leaking sound from the sender.

This is the sender in the B4. Not sure if its the same in yours rob! Check this for and leaking petrol.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    789.1 KB · Views: 10
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
Cheers Dave. Will have a look when I get home this afternoon.

Pedro I'd be hoping it's not the filter as it was only changed 4k miles ago. Anythings possible though, but I'm fairly sure the smell isn't coming from the engine area. Only happens for a short while after a fill until I've burnt some off.

Back