want more power

lukeewrx

Middle Lane Hogs
hi lads looking for a bit more power on my scooby what would the next part be to upgrade on my impreza car has full turbo back exhaust td04 turbo k+n panel filter and im told yellow 440's are standard on these 00 impreza turbo 2000 have a dyno print out of 254bhp and 303ft torque im not looking for big figures 300 - 350 bhp i would be more than happy with i know i will have to upgrade suspension and brakes as with any bigger power upgrade any ideas

:ponder2: don't think you have that much Torque Luke 350 bhp is a big stretch on a standard classic engine unless you have 5k handy

I dont think there is much point stressing the motor luke , having driven the car a few years ago i thought she was pretty pokey for a turbo 2000 , extra power will unquestionably bring big bills ,

if it aint broke dont fix it lol

Your going to have to spend a good bit to get a small bit more power... Not really worth it IMO, I would leave her as she is...
If that advice is not what you want to hear... Then a vf28 or newage sti turbo, fuel pump if not done already, maybe adj fuel reg, Sti top mount, map, probably a clutch aswell

And start throwing a few quid in a jar for when she goes tits up

[quote author=Tommy 555 link=topic=42780.msg490032#msg490032 date=1410986226]
I dont think there is much point stressing the motor luke , having driven the car a few years ago i thought she was pretty pokey for a turbo 2000 , extra power will unquestionably bring big bills ,

if it aint broke dont fix it lol
[/quote]very true tommy lol

[quote author=KENC link=topic=42780.msg490033#msg490033 date=1410986239]
Your going to have to spend a good bit to get a small bit more power... Not really worth it IMO, I would leave her as she is...
If that advice is not what you want to hear... Then a vf28 or newage sti turbo, fuel pump if not done already, maybe adj fuel reg, Sti top mount, map, probably a clutch aswell

And start throwing a few quid in a jar for when she goes tits up
[/quote]thanks ken didn't think there was that much involved for the upgrade will keep it as she is me thinks

Yeah, to try sum it up, you have pushed as far as you can cheaply... Now you need to spend for the next jump up in power... And because it's not a built motor or Sti lump... You can't jump too big... So your bang for buck is not great...
And I'm only assuming the mileage is good in the engine and I would rather enjoy it than destroy it

:thumbsup: nice torque then Luke . I.d leave standard till you have to build it Then look for a bit more power Work out cheaper I.d say :thumbsup:

[quote author=KENC link=topic=42780.msg490039#msg490039 date=1410987096]
Yeah, to try sum it up, you have pushed as far as you can cheaply... Now you need to spend for the next jump up in power... And because it's not a built motor or Sti lump... You can't jump too big... So your bang for buck is not great...
And I'm only assuming the mileage is good in the engine and I would rather enjoy it than destroy it
[/quote] yeah its been a very well looked after car and as tommy said if it aint broke dont fix it

[quote author=scoobysub link=topic=42780.msg490040#msg490040 date=1410987194]
:thumbsup: nice torque then Luke . I.d leave standard till you have to build it Then look for a bit more power Work out cheaper I.d say :thumbsup:
[/quote]yeah im thinking that myself joe :thumbsup:

Put it in perspective for you , I'm at 360hp 380torque and I'm in it for 7-8k excluding a 6 speed gearbox setup 2k++(which you probably won't need) suspension upgrades to handle the extra power and most importantly brakes. You're stressing every aspect of the car and this is where they become a money pit.
Not ideal if relying on it as a daily driver or tipping about.

If you want more power move on and get an Sti IMO , but you'll probably do your own thing anyway.

Great torque out of the td04 by the way :)

[quote author=BazGF8 link=topic=42780.msg490078#msg490078 date=1410993465]

Put it in perspective for you , I'm at 360hp 380torque and I'm in it for 7-8k excluding a 6 speed gearbox setup 2k++(which you probably won't need) suspension upgrades to handle the extra power and most importantly brakes. You're stressing every aspect of the car and this is where they become a money pit.

If you want more power move on and get an Sti IMO , but you'll probably do your own thing anyway.

[/quote]dont think i could bring myself to sell the car so hard to find a decent classic these days they do come up but not very often i can see what u saying and 7-8k would get me a newage sti for the extra power ? currently running standard suspension so maybe i could make a start in the handling department what is a good suspension setup on these

Start with rear suspension - thicker anti roll bar & solid droplinks. Also get a proper geo setup by someone that knows their stuff (fewer of these than you might think). You might need camber bolts to get a decent adjustment but sure they can adjust as much as possible & advise if you will need these.

Next step from there would be to source some good condition STi pink suspension & then finally if thats still not enough for you theres the option of coilovers.

[quote author=lukeewrx link=topic=42780.msg490114#msg490114 date=1411045204]
[quote author=BazGF8 link=topic=42780.msg490078#msg490078 date=1410993465]

[/quote]dont think i could bring myself to sell the car so hard to find a decent classic these days they do come up but not very often i can see what u saying and 7-8k would get me a newage sti for the extra power ? currently running standard suspension so maybe i could make a start in the handling department what is a good suspension setup on these
[/quote]

Then go suspension, tyres and brakes route .

As regards geometry , most fast road setting are all the same so a good lad should be able to dial in , should take 1-1.5 hours depending on seized bolts etc.

You don't have to have previous experience with Cosworth or anything like that they are only settings.

I'd recommend Wagon dec on here

cheers for the info lads its all still a learning curve with these although my 6th scooby its one i wanna keep and add to and put my own touch on it

Back