Suspension knocking

przemcio007

Hi Lads
Need some advise.
After I changed springs on my impreza my front suspension started to make knocking noise. Went to garage and was advised about droplinks being fecked. Did replaced them with whiteline drop links. After that all noise was gone. For week or so.
Now I can hear it only on specific situation and ONLY on driver side. When I am turning right (doesnt matter what angle) and going thru some small holes etc on road. No noise when going straight or turning left.
Any sugestions? In next few weeks I am going to change subframe on her and on same time will do rubber part on bar, but was checking recently, there is still grease on them so that shouldnt be a case. Was told by someone it might be standard shocks, but surely would hear noise on both sides
Much apreciated any sugestions on that matter (maybe anyone had same after changing springs?)

Sound that I am getting is like two metal pipes are knocking to each other. Unfortunately I dont have good equipment to record it.

Check the ARB bushes? Same happened my old housemates classic. Droplinks sorted it for a while then came back. Got under the car and gave the ARB a good rattle. Bush on drivers side had a small sort of pinch where the wall had collapsed and the ARB was knocking.

When i am going to change some parts at front, plan is to change them fir brand new ones (have them here, new set 20mm). It looks well and had grease on it so I assumed Its not it.

Arb bushing are a weak point and should be replaced every 40k :thumbsup: depending on how bad the road.s are . Grease won't stop them wearing :thumbsup:

[quote author=przemcio007 link=topic=42724.msg489358#msg489358 date=1410555386]
When i am going to change some parts at front, plan is to change them fir brand new ones (have them here, new set 20mm). It looks well and had grease on it so I assumed Its not it.
[/quote]

His looked fine aswell. It was only when two of us were swinging off it we could see it was perished and the opposite side wasn't moving. Think about how much the front of the car weighs.

[quote author=Bonito link=topic=42724.msg489360#msg489360 date=1410555945]
[/quote]

His looked fine aswell. It was only when two of us were swinging off it we could see it was perished and the opposite side wasn't moving. Think about how much the front of the car weighs.
[/quote]true, weigth a bit.
Well, they are going to be replaced for new ones.
Was it same Kind of noise on one side as well on your mate car?

[quote author=przemcio007 link=topic=42724.msg489365#msg489365 date=1410557174]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Yep, I had a listen to your video. Was fine until he hit a pot hole or rough road or a speed bump.

[quote author=Bonito link=topic=42724.msg489367#msg489367 date=1410557279]
[quote author=przemcio007 link=topic=42724.msg489365#msg489365 date=1410557174]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Yep, I had a listen to your video. Was fine until he hit a pot hole or rough road or a speed bump.
[/quote]thanks Bonito for advise. I had a thought about it, thats Why I have set already here :) either way had to be replaced as they are original bushings and car reached 100k recently!

[quote author=davelegacy[emoji769] link=topic=42724.msg489391#msg489391 date=1410564145]
after the big off you had i would advise sort all this first
[/quote]it was not so big :)
Thats being sorted, just getting parts. Knocking was way before that.

After I changed arb bushing it was quite for a while but Unfortunately knocking is back. Is there anyone here knowing subaru suspension to check if all is put together in a proper way? Have weird feeling that there might be something missing or mounted In wrong order since it is happening only on one side.

so you put new anti roll bar bushings on and have new droplinks nothing else really to knock there. but would need to look and check over and narrow it down

[quote author=BazGF8 link=topic=42724.msg494242#msg494242 date=1414357202]
Arb links ?
[/quote]
Droplinks you meant? New whiteline stuff on place. Changed them while ago.
Wondering about one thing. Was reading few days ago that it might be strut that is not greased properly. Whole shock is not working In 90 deg In relation to ground and after a while due to lack of grease it is starting to make noise. Dunno if that's the case.
It is happening while going thru bumps or when turning right (less weight put on that wheel and it is making more knocking noise then). I hope it is some shim or so which was not put in place when springs were changed.
Only driver side so don't think is was anything to do that sprins are lower.

was the noise there before the new springs were fitted :dontknow: if not were they the right springs and were they fitted right

Noise was there but not as noisy as it is now. They are right springs. There were dome at subaru garage so I am assuming there were fitted properly. But have no 100% on it as I was not looking at their hands. Seen that they are sitting properly at bottom on spring while jacking car up, but dunno about top thoug.

Back