Rocker Cover Gasket Replacement

JAMIE-TYPERV6

Octane Boostaholics
Hey all,

Wagon rocker gaskets are in a bad way and oil is burning off on headers and stinking like fook... gonna get stuck over the next few weekends if time allows.

Question is... As I've never had to do this on an engine that was in situ... how tricky is to do? Is access best from underside or do you just strip out as much from above as possible and work from above...? I haven't even had time to get the car in the air and look from the underside at access. :wall:

Cheers,

J...

It's awkward enough in situ but doable.
Invest in a 10mm ratchet spanner I you don't have one.
You can get most of the bolts from the top.
It's a while since I did them but think the very back ones on the bottom are awkward think I got them from underneath.

Take off what you can from the top and get the rest from underneath.

They will lift out from above.

Remove air filter housing to give yourself a bit of room

You can do it in situ but will need to remove washer bottle and air box and you'll need access from above and below so needs to be on axle stands.

Make sure to use sealer with the new gaskets and maybe new washers

10mm ratchet spanner I have... patience these days... not so much! :argh:

I'll be ordering a full kit including new washers Baz! And I've some good quality sealer too!

I find it good if you put a light lick of sealer in the grove in the rocker cover for the gasket and on the contact surface between gasket and head

[quote author=seanie link=topic=42628.msg488283#msg488283 date=1409604774]
I find it good if you put a light lick of sealer in the grove in the rocker cover for the gasket and on the contact surface between gasket and head
[/quote]

:thumbsup:

As above its very tight bit handier get the bottom bolts from underneath . As room is so tight make sure the new gaskets are on right and after slipping anywhere as you will have to put the m on vertical so they could move so use sealer :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Ps. ya have a little fella dont ya and he has small hands :icon_grin: :thumbsup:

[quote author=scoobysub link=topic=42628.msg488287#msg488287 date=1409605671]
As above its very tight bit handier get the bottom bolts from underneath . As room is so tight make sure the new gaskets are on right and after slipping anywhere as you will have to put the m on vertical so they could move so use sealer :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Ps. ya have a little fella dont ya and he has small hands :icon_grin: :thumbsup:
[/quote]

I do... but he's busy porting and polishing my headers at the mo! :icon_biggrin:

3 hours your getting away light cutting it fine to do both sides in 3 hours with the engine in

Yep we are 1.5 hrs per side in Labour on them.

only exception is the 03+ Legacy GT. Bit tighter. about 20-30 mins per side longer.

Back