Off topic voltage/amp question....

MARTINGTI

Octane Boostaholics
I recently bought a de Walt cordless impact driver from the states. The batter charger has an American style plug and I presume it's 110volt.... Anyway I'm looking to know do I need a power adapter style thing or what's the story? I have attached a pic of the front and back of the charger.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 10
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 8
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 10
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 8
Rear pic shows input voltage as 120ac and hence will only work with that. If you use a normal adaptor or put an IE plug on it and then plug it into our mains it will get double what it is rated for and will blow.

Only way to use it is with a step-down transformer which takes our 240 to 120v.

Sometimes devices will be dual voltage and will show 120 / 240v ac - which means they will auto sense voltage and will work on either US or EU levels. Unfortunately in the pic it only shows 120.

I asked some lad in maplin and he was on about watts, that I'd need like a 480watt adapter, and that they didnt even have one big enough.... He mentioned multiplying the input buy the out put to get the watts..... As in, input 120v multiply by 4.0ah output?? That's gives 480 watts and that's what I need. i haven't a clue!!!

Just cut the plug off and put a 110v plug on it there's only 2 wires. And it doesn't matter what way you do brown or blue . Then charge it off a standard Site 110v transformer :thumbsup:

Joe's right... Also... the 4ah is for the output which is at 12-20v... so not 4ah @ 120v. With other words about 10x less Watt for the input. Even if you allow for 20% loss in the transformer it would still take at most about 60W. Hope that helps.

Back