Turbo rebuild/upgrade

Rob Spec C

Octane Boostaholics
Looking at rebuilding the turbo and got a quote from turbo dynamics. At the same time, they said they can upgrade it at the same time which will allow for approximately an extra 40bhp over

Anyone read up on or any experience of this?

Any other places that would be recommended in the uk?

Make a hybrid job , bigger compressor (inlet) wheel , machine out the compressor cover to accept it.

I have a hybrid turbo on my track nissan march turbo , factory power was 108hp, with the hybrid made 150+hp same boost.

They have to be speced right to work

You won't get much better Turbo Dynamics, they build all the Lateral performance MD range....I wouldn't start to go around scrimping and saving on the turbo or rebuild... Compressor wheel break up and it's bye bye engine... Not worth the risk.. Could try Owen Developments, or Turbo Technics.

If you're gonna do it, do it right I say. Just not that up on this subject so wasn't sure if turbo technics were the best. That hybrid option is what I'll end up doing during the winter I'd say, sounded almost too good to be true for a while there. Might be good for a comfortable 360-380bhp you reckon?

last time i was talking to them they said they didnt really offer any upgrades for the vf36 and were just selling their own upgraded turbo's. Were you talking to them recently Rob?

Some or nearly all of the best producing turbos are a hybrid of some kind... An improvement on an existing spec... It maybe an exhaust wheel change or compressor wheel change or both.. It's something that I would defo look at if I had a dodgy turbo and was just looking to sneak a few horses more

Email from them last week dan. Not 100% whether I have a vf36 or 37, maybe someone could advise? Nearly sure I said vf36 to them in my mail anyway.

Cheers ken, I know a lot of cars with standard turbos are running up to 360+ so if I could get 380 or so with a noticeable increase in torque over standard, I'd be delighted.

[quote author=Rob Spec C link=topic=42539.msg487175#msg487175 date=1408726606]
Email from them last week dan. Not 100% whether I have a vf36 or 37, maybe someone could advise? Nearly sure I said vf36 to them in my mail anyway.

Cheers ken, I know a lot of cars with standard turbos are running up to 360+ so if I could get 380 or so with a noticeable increase in torque over standard, I'd be delighted.
[/quote][quote author=Rob Spec C link=topic=42539.msg487175#msg487175 date=1408726606]

[/quote]

Yep vf36 in yours Rob interested to know what do to it and the improvements it offers and cost :)

[quote author=Rob Spec C link=topic=42539.msg487186#msg487186 date=1408733571]
They quoted £395 + Vat. Whole job back in the car would probably cost a grand
[/quote]

Including a map tweak?

1k for 20-30bhp is good return!

hi Rob, taking a turbo off and fitting it back isn't a lot of work... shouldn't be more than 60-90 minutes each way.
I guess even something you could easily do yourself if so inclined to save a few bob.

Maybe so provided all nuts and bolts do as their told and don't decide Fuk up your day.

That is dependant on all the exhaust bolts playing ball and coming off, and to be honest, I couldn't be arsed with that craic :icon_hang:

Plus there's probably €60-70 (pure guess) in gaskets to go in.

Back