newbie here,respraying my 97 type r

brianp

Sunday Drivers
Hi people,i just joined in,ive owned my 97 type r now for nearly 10 years
she has 150k miles and still purring but the body has taken some punishment
over the years,usual chips and spots of bubbling

The car is more then a car to me,she will never be sold,
so i want to start pumping a few bob into her,starting with a respray.

Question is i want somebody whose going to do a fantastic job,no cheap ass
quick paint up sh*t,but something special,i want to go from white to P1 blue.

So who do you scooby enthusiasts rate nationwide?is there a sprayer out their highly rated
any where in the country that you would trust to do a 110% job,cus down my way i dont think there is, thanks guys

People will always have there views.

Changing colour will put most future buyers off. Imo stay white.

But if not planning on selling then thats not an issue.

Looking at 3 k for proper job

If you plan on keeping it you'd be best stripping it to a bare shell and doing it right the once... Windows out ... all running gear removed and underside stripped etc.

Seen to many with full resprays and over spray in areas it shouldnt be seen and badly masked lines.

As above... I agree with Dave... I'd leave it white.

:welcometotheclub

Where are you based and how far are you willing to travel to get it done? Someone would be able to advise then. It's a very hard thing to judge from people's opinions though as they are all coming from people with different standards.

If you are going to change from white, just consider what it would look like if you didn't strip down the engine bay etc and someone opens the bonnet.

Take plenty of pictures through all the stages so you can show anyone that it wasn't because of a bang.

And get some pics up of how she stands now, we love pics here :subaru:

some great advice above but weather your changing the colour or not you need to do a full strip of lights glass trims its the only way its going to look right . lots of lads have different levels of mint so see work before you commit to someone is my advice :thumbsup:

thanks guys for the replys,im in waterford by the way.

i understand your concerns about changing colour,wow nobody i know wants me to change it from white,i wouldnt care about resale value to be honest,shes going no where but the grave with me,

i just wanted a change i guess,10 years with white was ok,but i always loved blue,and i wouldnt sell her to replace it because i know every fucking detail about this car,i got her with 40k,mint and minded her like a child since.

now i know theres no short cuts to a good job,dont worry every single thing is coming off her,windows grills,lights bumpers the lot,i know you get what you pay for,i hear lads offering to spay her for 1600euro,but i wouldnt have the confidence to throw her in and expect myself to be happy with her the other side of it,so 3k,yes fu*k it id be prepared to pay it...........as long as the reputation is top notch and the job to go along with it.WHY THE fu*k CANT I SPRAY HER BLUE :badday:

Didn't anyone tell you that White is the fastest colour though? It's more aerodynamic paint. You don't want to slow the car down by painting it blue!!

:icon_lol:

Man I would have confidence in is a man who does dealership work, eg the local branded dealership VW, BMW Merc etc I last got work done in dungannon co Tyrone. Could not fault the work in any way. I am very particular when it comes to cars in general. It would be a fair step from your parish. I'm sure you could find someone closer.

Theres a very good man in carrickmacross co Monaghan too, never used him doh seen some of his work doh and he's very tasty. Expensive for complete bare shell respray I would imagine 3k might not look at it...

There is 3 different shades of 74f mate, if you going to paint it blue it will need to be stripped down as
The lads said

couldnt figure out how to put up the image,but if you want a look at the exact colour im after here it is
http://www.gtspirit.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/BMW-F10-M5-3.jpg

egyptian blue,as used on a lot of the beamers,what ye think??

the plan was to strip her completely and tidy up the bodywork from scratch,as for the engine bay...well theres the problem,my thinking was this,im certain the engine will be out of her in the distant future for a full rebuild,considering ive 150k with the same engine that could be sooner then i think,but shes running perfect,so when it does need to come out,then il give her the final bit around the engine bay,am i being realistic??i donno.

im not loaded so i dont think i could afford to do the lot straight off,taking out the engine and a rebuild while shes being sprayed,not a hope,but at least do the body and worry about the rest when ive notched up a few quid again,im also going to be looking for some advice in suspension set up,im done with my cuscos,to hard on me and the car,im looking into getting the p1 eibach/prodrive setup........rare i think lads im sure youd agree,or am i looking in the right places?thanks for the help guys,appreciate it

I think the guy in Carrick is the same lad that did a bare metal job on a mates twincam, talking in around the 3500 mark but it is probably the best respray I have seen, and two tone is not easy to line right. Can find out his number easily, lot of Toyota heads I know use him and all swear by him.

As a short term solution, why not do a cheap wrap on the car in blue and see do you take with the colour on the car, if you do then you can commit to an expensive respray.

[quote author=bevan link=topic=42344.msg485303#msg485303 date=1406848246]
I think the guy in Carrick is the same lad that did a bare metal job on a mates twincam, talking in around the 3500 mark but it is probably the best respray I have seen, and two tone is not easy to line right. Can find out his number easily, lot of Toyota heads I know use him and all swear by him.

As a short term solution, why not do a cheap wrap on the car in blue and see do you take with the colour on the car, if you do then you can commit to an expensive respray.
[/quote]

true true,i suppose a wrap would give me a glimpse on how shel end up,it is a risk forking out all that money with no turning back,i was considering wrap but to be honest i didnt want to just cover up the shitty paint work and small bits of rust appearing in the usual places,if you could get your mans number in carrick that would be great,i could at least get the ball rolling,sounds like the chap i need.

Warren Mc Cartney is the mans name, company is KW Industrial Coatings;
Mobile: +353 (86) 729 9900
Work: +353 (42) 974 3104

Just remember this man is in Carrickmacross Co Monaghan a good four hour drive from where your at.

thanks guys,as i said ive no problem throwing the car on the trailer on driving the jeep up the country for a top job.if im going to do it at all i want to do it right

:repost:What about Hartleys motor craft in new ross??? I've only ever heard great stories about them. A guy I know got a vintage car resprayed with them and they gave him a sheet with the names of who worked on the car and what job they did so it was all traceable and everyone was accountable for their work

[quote author=p1impreza link=topic=42344.msg485216#msg485216 date=1406823944]
There is 3 different shades of 74f mate, if you going to paint it blue it will need to be stripped down as
The lads said
[/quote]
Were the 3 different shades model specific?
As in
1. P1
2. 22B
3. Normal Type r
???????

Back