Band expander?????

A

Aido-H

Hey, New to the website as only got my "99" Legacy B4 on friday,
There is a standard sony head unit in it and it seems good enough to keep,
The problem is the stations - cant pick em up. So i need a band expander but
dont know where to fit it in the car. Any sudjestions would be much appreciated
Thanks.

Get the headunit out, loads of hastle by the way!! and i think the band expander has the ariel connection and 2 or 3 wires, there are instructions with it so just follow them, pick one up off e-bay for less than a tenner, or buy one in a shop over here for 30!!! Just be carefull because when i was looking for the permanent live at the back of my radio, instead of being red it was black with a blue through it as far as i remember. Jap wiring is alot different than you would be used to.
All said and done i have no real knowledge of wiring but i fitted my own so its handy enough :thumbsup:

[quote author=eliroche link=topic=4830.msg52512#msg52512 date=1199663425]
Get the headunit out, loads of hastle by the way!! and i think the band expander has the ariel connection and 2 or 3 wires, there are instructions with it so just follow them, pick one up off e-bay for less than a tenner, or buy one in a shop over here for 30!!! Just be carefull because when i was looking for the permanent live at the back of my radio, instead of being red it was black with a blue through it as far as i remember. Jap wiring is alot different than you would be used to.
All said and done i have no real knowledge of wiring but i fitted my own so its handy enough :thumbsup:
[/quote]

Yea, Tried that yesterday couldent get the unit out, on my last car tho i diddent have to put it near the back of the sterio coz there was another point where the areial was connected to the body of the car and she just slipped on there, worked fine!
If I could find that point in the legacy id be flying.

just unplug the aerial connection at the back of the radio and plug it into the band expander, then plug the band expander into the radio...easy peesy :thumbsup:

For the Legacy your gonna have to get the headunit out, the whole centre console almost has to come out as its held in with 4 screws in behind the console, there is a screw or 2 hidden in where the ashtray is, maybe thats the problem, pull out the ashtray altogether and there are 2 screws up underneath it with the heads pointing down, the centre console at the top near the dash is just clipped in, took me a while but you should figure it out, take your time and dont break any of the clips
Cheers,
Eli. :thumbsup:

Hi Aido-H

i have a bag of band expanders found them a few years back. if you want one and you are around tallaght just call up and you can have one.
only one wire to wire up.. live

Roadrage

[quote author=roadrage link=topic=4830.msg52535#msg52535 date=1199671306]
Hi Aido-H

i have a bag of band expanders found them a few years back. if you want one and you are around tallaght just call up and you can have one.

Roadrage
[/quote]

i live around tallaght way..how much you want for them lad?

@ stevo , try your local motor factors or any shop that sells car stereos and speakers etc... if you cant get one send me a p.m. with your address and ill send you one on...ive 1 or 2 in my garage somewhere.. :thumbsup:

[quote author=Dagnut link=topic=4830.msg52538#msg52538 date=1199678443]
i live around tallaght way..how much you want for them lad?
[/quote]

Sorry Dagnut  not selling them.... if you need one for your own car no prob you can have one

roadrage
[/quote]

Hi Aido-H

Roadrage
[/quote]

any chance uv any of them left lad? could be around tallaght no bother

Hi Aido-H

Roadrage
[/quote]

Hello Road Rage,

I'm in need of a band expander also  :thumbsup:

I live in Tallaght, so if you could give me one that would be great  :dance:

Send me a PM if you can sort me out  :thumbsup:

Thanks in advance for your help  :subaru:

Cheers,

Michael

sorry lads have been a bit tied up this week started a new job on monday. and also working at the weekend with another job. i should be around tallaght thursday afternoon and friday up to 4pm

i,ve sent p.m  to .....Michael Spec C .....20VBZR ....and..Aido-H....  but i'm not sure if i done it right ..... so let me know if you didnt get one

Roadrage

Hi lads. Just wondering about the band expander. I've a B4 and the existing standard kenwood radio is pretty good. So i nearly had a band expander bought, but I was told that even though they will pick up the irish stations. You will either miss the low freq station or the higher ones. Is this true? Also do the digits on the display change to the proper irish frequencies or will they still be 78-90MHz??
Appreciate any help.
Thanks

dont know about the low freq stations but the digits wont be the same as the irish ones....92fm could be 81fm or something like that... :thumbsup: :subaru:

Back