3-3500 rpm fuel cut

W

wrxwagon

wonderin if ya can help me guys. have a 94 impreza wrx, completly standard! when im in 3rd 4th n 5th on full throttle the car fuel cuts.... this has happepened since i ran out of fuel one day!!! stupid me i know!! :hang: i've changed the fuel filter and still no better!! if i feather the throttle it doesnt happen n once it gets past 4500 rpm its grand!! so its only happenin when the turbo is under most pressure!!! any ideas what it could be?? im thinkin fuel pump?? help, cause its ruinin the car!! :thumbsup:

There maybe dirt on the filter connected to the fuel pump.
I'd recommend upgrading to a 255lph fuel pump anyway

had it out of the tank n blew out the filter at the bottom of the pump n still made no difference!!!

Had something similar happen to me on my B4 and had to replace to mass air flow sensor,does the car kinda stutter and jump when you floor it??

ecu reset as in disconnect the battery n leave it n re-connect it again??

shes ok when i floor it in first and 2nd, or any of the other gears until between 3-3500rpm!!

also no check engine light or anything on the car!!

Resetting the ecu would mean connecting the diagnostics under the dash and then drive for a few mins not goin over 20kmh ad that should reset it,i think thats it but i'm sure i'll be corrected if i'm wrong :wall: :doh: lol

There's a couple of ways of Re-setting the ECU.... easiest is to disconnect the negative cable from the battery and leave for 20 mins... then re-connect and start engine without any throttle.... then bring for a spin :thumbsup:

Alan.

cheers for d advice guys!!! ill try resetting it tomorrow n see how we get on!!!

reset the ecu and still no better!! any other ideas??

Yep sounds like Over boost to me :thumbsup:

There's a number of causes for this but you could start checking
the hoses to and from the turbo, checking for a tare or crack ....etc.

Niall.

right lads ive tried all the pipes around the turbo, took em all off n checked them!!! still no better!! also bypassed the boost relay and it's still the same with that bypassed!!!! Still thinkin fuel pump but cant get my hands on one to try!!! have anyone seen this happen with a fuel pump! ie. not puttin enough fuel through for the boost!! seems too coincidental that it only started to happen when she ran out of fuel!! keep the advice comin! cheers!!

silly question. did you check the fuel pressure. if it happens all the time it should show up.

how much ya lookin for the pump??? ill take that off ya n try it!!

Back