Magnetic Sump Plugs, are they any good

Pedro555

ISDC Club Member
my oil sump plug is starting to round so im going to fit new one and was considering getting a magnetic one while im at it, are they any good, heard a few stories of cheaper ones leaking etc- what are a good brand to get or should i just stay with original part, cheers

Always had them. Neodymium are the ones to get. They don't lose pull due to heat. Seen one car I had a load of spiders legs from the swarf attracted. Better to get it out than in.

[quote author=Eoin-S204 link=topic=42239.msg483850#msg483850 date=1405371460]
Always had them. Neodymium are the ones to get. They don't lose pull due to heat. Seen one car I had a load of spiders legs from the swarf attracted. Better to get it out than in.
[/quote]

thanks eoin, never heard of them tbo, anyone in ireland stock them or in uk

I was always told that if you have one of them and they start to pick up things, you are already in trouble.

Eoin, do you find much on the plug when you change the oil?

[quote author=Rob Spec C link=topic=42239.msg483862#msg483862 date=1405373800]
I was always told that if you have one of them and they start to pick up things, you are already in trouble.
[/quote]

Fully agree... once starts picking up bits then there's a problem causing damage and damage already done.
The only exception is during run in of a brand new built engine - that's when it makes some sense I'd say.

Fitted one shortly after buying the car ( about 6 yrs now) and never had a leak not sure of what brand it is but almost certain I got it off scoobyparts. Some strength in the magnet. Also never noticed anything on it when changing oil but that's what I'd be hoping for anyway :thumbsup:

Just sourced mine off eBay. Just make sure not an ordinary magnet. Only ever found anything on mine on the first oil change after fitting. The car in question was a rover and never found a thing after the first time. I still check them as an early indicator of future trouble.

thanks for info lads, going to try the neodymium ones as they are not too expensive and i need to replace the sump plug regardless. i see d point regarding if it catches particles of steel etc your already in trouble but there seems to be no real disadvantage in fitting one, hopefully :pray:

Back