hesitation in acceleration in 3rd/4th gear ?

lenno

Sunday Drivers
Been reading up on this on few subaru forums and seems to be a very common problem.

hearing many different possibilities from plugs to maf sensors to neutral sensor thing in gearbox

local subaru dealer isnt worth dealing with

any ideas lads was thinking getting it hooked up to a diagnostic and having someone drive/diagnose the car or whats best way go about it?

Had a Nissan navara last week no boost in 3rd and 4th dead as fu*k. Loads of power in 1st 2nd and 5th.
Neutral position switch in box. Don't know if there is one in your car. It's unusual to have power loss or hesitation just in certain gears.

[quote author=seanie link=topic=42169.msg482975#msg482975 date=1404683366]
If there is one plug it out and take it for a burn
[/quote]

Never boost your way out of a problem..

Diagnose issue first.

Simple thing like neutral position sensor can see on live diagnostics.

Dont think eobd will display neutral postion switch, may be wrong i dont use them much.
i'd say you will need something a little better

[quote author=seanie link=topic=42169.msg482973#msg482973 date=1404683307]
Had a Nissan navara last week no boost in 3rd and 4th dead as fu*k. Loads of power in 1st 2nd and 5th.
Neutral position switch in box. Don't know if there is one in your car. It's unusual to have power loss or hesitation just in certain gears.
[/quote]

yeah i read on a uk scooby forum that it could be that neutral position switch in box fella got his car drove while on diagnostic and it came up as that was thinking this could be it but dunno where to take the car that would be suitable for checking it and not give me a big bill to fix a part that doesnt need fixing plenty places out there havent a clue local main dealer is beyond clueless

you can test the switch yourself without diagnostics, remove switch and test continuity. it should be open circuit in one position and short circuit in the other.
or if you dont have a multimeter, in some cars they are the same part as the reverse switch. compare them if they are same swap them and see if your reverse lights work if they do the switch is ok.

although i think connectors are different on the subaru

Simple question..
Has this happened out of the blue? Have you done anything/ changed anything prior to the issue?? Anything at all?

It could be boost related, loading her up in higher gears could be causing a boost spike and triggering a fuel cut. It causing a bit of DET and knocke sensor is picking it up and retarding timing .. Maybe.

I would have thought a neutral position switch will either work or not and different gears wouldn't matter?

[quote author=KENC link=topic=42169.msg483127#msg483127 date=1404768231]
Simple question..
Has this happened out of the blue? Have you done anything/ changed anything prior to the issue?? Anything at all?

It could be boost related, loading her up in higher gears could be causing a boost spike and triggering a fuel cut. It causing a bit of DET and knocke sensor is picking it up and retarding timing .. Maybe.

I would have thought a neutral position switch will either work or not and different gears wouldn't matter?
[/quote]

when car in neutral it enters idle mode.

so if switch faulty then car stays in idle mode but then ecu also starts seeing speedo reading.

so can get confuzled and try retard things. some cars react differently.

Would all the gears not be the same do? To be ok 1st 2nd 5th... Would mean that switch is ok? But not in 3rd 4th?

[quote author=KENC link=topic=42169.msg483152#msg483152 date=1404771245]
Would all the gears not be the same do? To be ok 1st 2nd 5th... Would mean that switch is ok? But not in 3rd 4th?
[/quote]

Sorry Ken reply was not based fully on OP problem.

Again thats all a guessing game on a forum.

It could be anything.

impossible to diagnose without seeing the car.
the faulty neutral switch i had had worn contacts and was making contact intermittently only in 3rd and 4th. was fine in 1st 2nd and 5th.
had no boost in 3rd and 4th but if you forced the gear lever further into gear than normal the power would kick back in but if you just put in gear normally it wouldnt.
the extra lever throw was pushing switch far enough to make contact.
every yoke is different.

[quote author=seanie link=topic=42169.msg483165#msg483165 date=1404805754]
impossible to diagnose without seeing the car.
the faulty neutral switch i had had worn contacts and was making contact intermittently only in 3rd and 4th. was fine in 1st 2nd and 5th.
had no boost in 3rd and 4th but if you forced the gear lever further into gear than normal the power would kick back in but if you just put in gear normally it wouldnt.
the extra lever throw was pushing switch far enough to make contact.
every yoke is different.
[/quote]

have heard this on several forums

have noticed also that car struggles to go into reverse when leavin driveway first startin car up so this makes me think could be that

got new tyres and shocks fitted car still has that hesitation in 4th/5th gear pulls we say till 4,000rpm holds then pulls to 5,000rpm then holds for a second its like ya have to accelerate ur way through it haha

would any reputable garage be capable of hooking it up to a diagnostic or should i go to someone who knows subarus?

all subarus are hard to get into reverse well any of the ones i'v had anyway

:plusone:

Yeah common enough, reverse and sometimes 1st, when cold... are hard to engage -- trick: go into 2nd gear first, then select reverse or 1st and it will go smoothly.

Back