UK engine into Jap car

scoobyjoe2007

Petrolheads
Guys a friend bought a 99 wrx 2 weeks ago... It wasn't mapped and he was using octane boost on refills... He was going to map it but now engine has went bang. .. I have a sourced a 00 UK engine but was wondering if he gets ecu out of the UK car will it run okay. .. have been asked for 900 euro for everything and told it will be okay but just double checking...

any car with engine change in theory needs mapped.

if no mods and boost kept to factory 0.9 bar should be fine

Okey doke!

Myself and joe are helping our mate get back on the road. An engine swop is pretty straight forward when you have all the tools and label everything for reassembley. Engine is out and ready for doner. Stripped of all ancillaries, intake + Exhaust manifold (bare engine basically) to be swoped onto new uk engine.

This lad isnt made of money but was saving for mapping but now needs an engine.

A couple of questions before we go look at the uk wrx engine.

Set us straight where needed.

We have been looking for a uk wrx engine only, due to the extra reliability factor. If we pop the uk engine in with ith jap ECU. Will the fule/air mix be safe enough? Last ting we need the car to run too lean. This is why we were going to swop out the jap ecu with a UK ecu.

I totally agree with dave that any car after engine swop needs remap.

The standard ECU in the car. Can this be reprogrammed/remapped itself or will it need to be swopped out with a performance ECU. Car is 99 with typical version 5 coilpack to the right of intake manifold.
If we can map standard ecu we will be off the ground a lot quicker than having to save for performance one.

If you fit a uk engine into a jap car it won't start. Changing the manifold or turbo won't help it either.

If you are changing only the basic mechanical engine from a uk car and keeping all the jap electrics then why would it not start
On the mapping issue your no better or worse off than you were before
If it's still running a jap map then it would be best to remap for Irish fuel for some degree of safety being a second hand engine there are no gaurentes nobody in their right mind would stand over a second hand Impreza engine it's not likley to be driven like a micra after all

[quote author=ianfl link=topic=42128.msg482374#msg482374 date=1404335388]
Can crank sensor different ??
[/quote]

I tried to fit a jap ecu in mine and had this problem
Some say swop 2 wires but then the immobiliser is a issue after that
Just wondering if you swop ecu also wich the lads I think are doing is it still a problem :ponder2:

[quote author=KENC link=topic=42128.msg482338#msg482338 date=1404327582]
If you fit a uk engine into a jap car it won't start. Changing the manifold or turbo won't help it either.
[/quote]

that is 110 % incorrect.

if you are refering to later new age wrx into 99 then cam and inner crank pulley needs swapped.

if you are refering to cam and crank sensor wiring again not an issue as lads only using long block.

[quote author=Stevie link=topic=42128.msg482302#msg482302 date=1404301552]
Okey doke!

Set us straight where needed.

We have been looking for a uk wrx engine only, due to the extra reliability factor.

[/quote]

Absolute zero zero zero more reliability factor.

Stop nit picking the information Dave...

If he drops a 99 Uk engine Into a jap car... And only swaps the inlet and turbo like you said... The fact is it won't start. Right or wrong?

[quote author=KENC link=topic=42128.msg482449#msg482449 date=1404373615]
Stop nit picking the information Dave...

If he drops a 99 Uk engine Into a jap car... And only swaps the inlet and turbo like you said... The fact is it won't start. Right or wrong?
[/quote]

110% wrong

why wouldnt it?

and would hardly call nit picking giving the fully incorrect information and me asking you to which info did you have in mind as to why it wouldnt start. which you still havent said by the way.

The lads are using a long block. so zero sensors/wiring left on it. switching all inlet etc over. And uk and jap v5 cam and crank pulleys are same re pick point location

So your saying that there is no difference uk and jap engine loom? And that he won't have to swop the cam and crank pins around at the ecu? Or mess around with wiring?

[quote author=KENC link=topic=42128.msg482456#msg482456 date=1404378518]
So your saying that there is no difference uk and jap engine loom? And that he won't have to swop the cam and crank pins around at the ecu? Or mess around with wiring?
[/quote]

Ken i knew thats what you were refering to as you had it because you dropped jdm sti engine into the uk blue.

So no they will not encounter that.

How could they???

They suggested earlier regards using uk ecu. that was put to bed then from what i can see.

So they are using the long block with all the same wiring and manifold and ecu etc it already had. so no it will start no problem.

again why wouldnt it??

you could get a engine from a 2004 wrx and swap in long block no problem.
you will have to change cam sensor pulley and inner crank pulley on that because of the pick up points. so would get no spark if you dont. and vicea versa 99 into say a 2003.

Back