Check Engine Light

B4_RSK

Petrolheads
Lol i'm only on here a day and already putting up problems!!

Anyway, my check engine light tends to come on for a few mins and go off again,before it comes on the car is a bit sluggish but after it comes on and goes off the car returns to normal,i've ran diagnostics from under the dash and have recieved no error code(last time i did that the mass air flow meter was gone) and i've only recently had her serviced and checked and plugged into an external diagnostic machine with the ecu reset but no joy the light keeps coming on  :angry:

Any ideas????

I've only ever put texaco petrol in it,thought with the techron stuff in it it would help keep the engine in better nick and yeah every time i fill up i put a bottle of booster in her,it gets kinda frustraiting :evil:

What brand of Booster ? Some of them petrols that have cleaners in them work against the octane booster and cancel them out

i had a problem like this last year with a toyota landcruiser, 3litre turbo diesel, the light
would keep coming on then after the engine heated up it went off, turned out it was just
that the engine was cold, being winter an all, never had any problems engine wise.
Possibly faulty relay either!!!

Sti Garda :smokin:

At the moment i'm using stp octane booster until i can get my hands on somethin better,the light comes on at the weirdest times,i could be sitting with the car idling and it would come on and with a touch of the accellerator it would disappear,or i could be on a motorway engine warmed up and everything and it would come on for a few mins and then go,all tests so far showed up no fault,gonna have to book her in somewhere(again) to be on the safe side!

Stay away from Texaco petrol and stick to either Lucas or NF Octane booster :thumbsup:

As Paulo said - Try the Maxol E5 petrol (both with and without booster) and see if you notice a difference.

Alan.

i started having a similar problem recently it just hesitates a little when its cold but its grand again then when its warm, i have also started using E5 with octane booster. even though the car isnt mapped is it ok to use just E5 on its own?

the only time i ever saw the check engine light on my b4 was when i had the air intake pipe off and had to move the car out of the way .. soon as i started the car the light came on .. when all back together, light was gone ... check your air intake pipe work .. maybe theres a little crack ? damo

[quote author=stevo link=topic=4809.msg52271#msg52271 date=1199552079]
i started having a similar problem recently it just hesitates a little when its cold but its grand again then when its warm, i have also started using E5 with octane booster. even though the car isnt mapped is it ok to use just E5 on its own?
[/quote]

I sometimes have this hesitation problem when engine cold but only for literally the first half mile of driving.
I thought it maybe im using plugs with heat rating 6 when your supposed to use 7's when mapped.

My check engine light also has similar spells coming on and off mainly when cold. But my rocker cover gasket on drivers side needs replacing, causing a slight oil leak which i figure may be the problem as i need to top up the oil more regurlarly and even though i never let it drop too low, the check engine light doesn't come on for a few days after topping up.

Having said that, this check engine light problem only arose when the cold weather started.

[quote author=B4_RSK link=topic=4809.msg52187#msg52187 date=1199496302]
I've only ever put texaco petrol in it,thought with the techron stuff in it it would help keep the engine in better nick and yeah every time i fill up i put a bottle of booster in her,it gets kinda frustraiting :evil:
[/quote]

Stop usein that texaco $hit there is a maxol just down the road from you that sell E5

beside the elf inn im in there every day if you ever stuck for some booster just send me a PM

I have a box of lucas there that i dont really use... :thumbsup:

[quote author=Paul v4 link=topic=4809.msg52373#msg52373 date=1199579548]
[quote author=B4_RSK link=topic=4809.msg52187#msg52187 date=1199496302]
[/quote]

Stop usein that texaco $hit there is a maxol just down the road from you that sell E5

beside the elf inn im in there every day if you ever stuck for some booster just send me a PM

I have a box of lucas there that i dont really use... :thumbsup:
[/quote]

Ah sure i use the maxol at artane castle but i'll def giv ya a buzz bout the booster,cheers ;)

Back