Authorized service or not?

Zheiko

Octane Boostaholics
Hey lads,

So, I got my car to 141k km, and for 142k km it's supposed to go for authorised service...

So, few questions. What do they check? Do they inspect only fluids, or do they check belts as well? Do they check anything on top of that?

I can do basic service on my car myself(oil, fluids, filters etc), still in phase of learning, but thats the natural learning curve.

Reason why am I even thinking about it is, that I am not that skilled(YET!) and there might be something wrong with the car that I might not see, question is, would they see? Second reason is, up to this moment, this car always had service done on time and in same place - if I do these things myself, I will not have official stamp - which might result in lower pricing when re-selling car, am I correct?

its up to you at the end of the day. personally if I was buying a car unless I knew it I'd always look for a traceable service history but thats just me other people may not. You'll save money doing it yourself though

its no harm get it looked over by someone who knows what they are at for your own safety, they will spot excessive wear in steering, suspension, brakes etc.
they may spot something you wouldnt which might be dangerous.
Also gearbox and diff oil level/condition.

Gerry: exactly my point, for me it was actually deciding moment that I rang to the servicing company and they confirmed all visits

On the other hand as says Seanie, if they do really proper check, then it might be worth the hassle, I am not sure whether saving few quid here for doing service myself is worth the hassle proving to next buyer that the car is in great condition coz I serviced it myself, but I have no stamps...

i'd rather see a car serviced by a good independent garage or by the person that owned it that some of the main dealers and the long service intervals they use which is crazy more of a diesel problem to be fair :thumbsup:

Ok so I went there.

Reason for me going there was engine light coming on, it was there for less than a day. Appeared at morning on my way to work, so I did some research at work, and found that one of the possible issues might be Fuel Cap not closed properly, well, I am sure I always close it properly, but anyways, I could give it a shot. So I opened it, checked for cracks, and then closed it again properly, hearing the click sound. Turned engine on, and light was still there... opened bonnet, turned engine off, checked for any loose cables, nothing, everything looked mint. when I then turned the engine on again, light was gone. Even tho the CEL was gone after that, the car was accelerating 'slow' and choppy.

I have OBD-II but it gave me only NA error, so I guess I cannot use that OBD on my car:(

So I went to the authorised service and I was like why the heck not. Drove there, guy took my car, drove it arround for a bit and then got the readings.

Error it gave him is P0328 - Knock Sensor 1 Circuit Malfunction (High Input)
Other than that, he said car is in mint condition and drives flawlessly with no issues whatsoever.

He quoted me for the checks of the car and the codes 45euro, which is not a bad, since he showed me where can I find the piece that is faulty and how to replace it. It was nice lad, and even tho he looked at me 'hey your questions are stealing my job, but I know that even if I dont tell you, you will not come here for the service, so this is how you do it' so he showed me everything I wanted and gave me all info I required for the job.

So now, my question is, where can I get this Knock Sensor? If the CEL is gone now, does that mean the Knock Sensor is currently working fine? Car feels good again and no sloppy/choppy acceleration no more. He charged me about 80euro for the knock sensor, I have seen it on ebay for $10-$15 but I dont want to buy some crappy one and I would like to go with genuine to prevent any damage.

Thanks for your input guys:)

buy the genuine knock sensor is my advice or same brand equivalent will work out cheaper in the long run :thumbsup:

Back