car wont start

stel94

Petrolheads
car broke down today have it nearly a month and never really an issue with it it wont start up without a jump start battery is fine used a multimeter to check voltage plenty off power tried to hook up a diagnostic to it wont read the car all electrics working fine making a strange winding noise when turning key could it be the fuel pump ? or starter ? i luckily have 2 days warranty left its under engine and gearbox should i bring it back to garage or sort it myself any ideas or suggestions would be great thanks

if starts with jump start car, then check voltage with multimeter while car is running should be circa 14V, if lower than 13V then alternator goosed, if voltage fine then battery goosed or bad connection.

You can't accurately check a battery with a multimeter
Even a battery that's has little or now power left in it will still read 12v
If it starts and stays runnin with a jump from another car chances are it's your battery

[quote author=nivek4209 link=topic=41593.msg476233#msg476233 date=1398853815]
You can't accurately check a battery with a multimeter
Even a battery that's has little or now power left in it will still read 12v
If it starts and stays runnin with a jump from another car chances are it's your battery
[/quote]

not necessarily true, bad battery will only read 12V if it has been charged if there is a weak cell and cant output enough current the voltage will drop off dramtically with use.
a fully charged good battery should be 12.2v as battery is used voltage drops unless charged anything under 11v is considered a flat battery, battery can recover by charging but deep discharge like lights left on over night or prolonged trickle discharge like car parked for months can damage battery and sometimes wont recover by charging

when i said jump start i ment pushing the car i when down to the garage they said its the starter but wont take the car till tomorrow and there not sure if its under warranty

"strange winding noise"... and battery that seems to have charge...

>> Sounds like starter motor (like the garage suggested), or to be precise: it's the Bendix gear on the starter motor assembly.

Could be simple fix by taking off started motor and cleaning the Bendix engagement gear.. noise is electric motor running fast because gear doesn't engage on flywheel and hence note turning engine over. Often just cleaning and lightly oiling (very thin non evaporating oil like sewing machine oil or WD40) the running path of the cog will do.

Im leaving it up with garage tomorrow so they can sort it weird how it wont start but when pushed it ruins normally i think battery is ok as all electrics work fine even though the car wont start

go out and give the starter a tip or tap with a stick and have someone turn it over at the same time and see does it start if it does then its the starter :thumbsup:

Could be the starter pinion spinning but not popping out to engage flywheel..

Your not supposed to tap a starter , might damage the magnetic components inside, an auto electrician ones told me.
Also if there is a cat on the car it shouldn't be push started as un burned fuel enters the exhaust and can damage the cat.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4

[quote author=Kilfree link=topic=41593.msg476279#msg476279 date=1398890909]
Your not supposed to tap a starter , might damage the magnetic components inside, an auto electrician ones told me.
Also if there is a cat on the car it shouldn't be push started as un burned fuel enters the exhaust and can damage the cat.

[/quote]

of course he did he didnt want you to get off the road :icon_biggrin:. but being serious never heard of thet before and i;m sure they get loads of knocks being taking off an but on :dontknow:

I often tipped one myself, if your stuck you'll try anything.

[quote author=scoobysub link=topic=41593.msg476273#msg476273 date=1398888647]
go out and give the starter a tip or tap with a stick and have someone turn it over at the same time and see does it start if it does then its the starter :thumbsup:
[/quote]

tried that no luck but the garage is sorting it tomorrow

Back