Rear shocks for bugeye wrx KYB or STI red ones?

Re: Rear shocks for bugeye wrx

[quote author=cecildrumstick link=topic=41507.msg475107#msg475107 date=1397991475]
Just replaced mine. Give ciaran a shout in asd. Supplied and fitted mine for good price
[/quote]

i would need only supplied.
what brand shock you got?

If you get only one, then you'll likely still fail the nct on imbalance between the shocks. Should change both sides at same time.

[quote author=Rob Spec C link=topic=41507.msg475249#msg475249 date=1398093328]
If you get only one, then you'll likely still fail the nct on imbalance between the shocks. Should change both sides at same time.
[/quote]

i knowths so i will replace both :)
just trying find best solution where to get them

hm which way to go?

new KYB ultra sr or second hand STI red ones? price diference is double price for new kyb compare to second had sti

The KYB UltraSR shocks are great for a road going car - better than OEM and more comfortable than STI reds.

Plenty strong they are too. I replaced my factory shocks on the '04 blob WRX SL with these and car was great - comfy, better handling, and still able to go "foot-loose" on hump-back-bridge without bottoming out. :icon_grin:

Not sure its matter but in future would be instaling eibach springs.
which better with them.

car mostly is daily driver with spirited driving.

Depends whether going for Pro or Sport springs...

Keep in mind you cannot lower too much with any "stock" shocks as would go too far out of their normal stroke window, which results in inadequate dampening and/or premature wear.

The Pro are fine, the Sport really harsh and too much of a drop on normal shocks.

What is the reason you are looking at replacing springs if you don't mind me asking?

Will go with proline -35mm drop.
want have bit better handling plus like bit lowered car.

in total plan is
eibach springs
rear arb(not sure 22 or 24 and not sure should replace front one)
Antilift kit.

Get ya... :icon_grin:

If it was my money I would still opt for the Ultra SRs, can't fault them for the money and are probably better suited to our roads than the STI shocks. Also 2nd hand shocks is hit and miss, with new KYBs you know where you stand. :thumbsup:

Here are a few pointers based on what you wrote:

ALK is good and worth having -- as are different poly bushes for things like wishbones at the front and trailing arms at the back.

NOTE: If you are lowering your car you Really need to think about fitting a Roll Centre / Bumpsteer kit (same thing different name).

When you lower the car it will result in significant dynamic positive camber due to the way the Impreza suspension works, the above kit makes the needed changes to eliminate this... would not recommend lowering without fitting this as a lowered Impreza without a bumpsteer kit will grip will less - in fact grip will be bit scary as it will initially bite into a corner and then as the suspension compresses it will gain positive camber and your car will suddenly wash out with understeer as a result of the sudden loss of negative camber.

Rather than fitting a different ARB I have found that fitting uprated droplinks on the back (the solid alloy C shaped ones) works better (and probably more cost effective too). The plastic oem ones can break, but also they are weak and take a while to load up the ARB with tension when you are cornering (so takes a while before the ARB can even start to do its job regardless of its size). The more solid droplinks load the ARB immediately when you corner, so no delay -- especially when changing direction a few times in quick succession (think twisty back roads) this simple upgrade makes a huge difference. The uprated ones make the car much more controllable.
Just fitting a heavier ARB doesn't get round this issue and also if you go too heavy with the ARB you again will lose rather than gain grip. At the front you are probably better off leaving both the ARB and droplinks alone. The OEM front bar is actually sized to reduce grip and make the car "safer" by inducing some understeer. So one can either improve the back (which is recommended) or put one size smaller on the front to make the car more neutral compared to the factory handling.

Keep in mind that when you get better shocks and (later?) stiffer springs, the car will already corner much flatter anyway as the ARB is only one thing that controls roll during cornering. You need to evaluate springs, shocks and ARB with droplinks all together to understand the resulting handling behaviour.

Hope the above helps you a bit with the planning.

Good read.
Far as i was reading in other places. Bumpsteer kit not nessesary thing if not going lower more that -40mm.Its tru or false?
Anti lift kit and rear arb would help bit deal with understeering.
already have rear c shape solid drop links.

Why you think that sti shocks not very good for irish roads? Bit too hard?

No worries, hope it helps... A lot of info out there and not all of it correct, so can be confusing.

Yeah, think that STI suspension is a bit harsh, to the point where it isn't as comfy and less grip on poor road surfaces. The STI shock needs to be stronger to counter act the heavier rate of the spring, but is valved at a budget and a big compromise (very linear instead of progressive). From having driven both I'd say the KYB Ultra SR is just about right for the Impreza used on Irish roads with stock springs or Eichbach Pros. If you did more track stuff then "maybe" STI ones are a bit better, but only marginal - and either way if mostly tracking really would be looking at coilovers anyway.

With regards the bumpsteer kit not needed if dropping less than 40mm:

- short answer:
False... over 20mm drop you will start to be impacted and could consider bumpsteer kit. @ -30-35mm I would deffo want one and @ -40mm and more, the car will be scary when driven on a bit and very unpredictable (initial grip and then understeer even at very normal speeds).

-longer answer:
Impreza's (at least the GC and GD chassis) do not take well to lowering with the stock geometry. -20mm lowering is about the max before you start to notice the impact. @ -20mm you would get away with it unless driving car on the limit. Also the kind of roads you drive and speed / exuberance you "throw" it into a corner will have influence, as it is all about how far your suspension compresses as you corner (and yes you need some compression to maintain grip.

With the stock geo on the GC and GD once the wishbone gets to horizontal you start to loose camber (that behaviour is called dynamic camber).
It isn't linear either, meaning that it gains positive camber quicker the further the wishbone goes past horizontal, and hence, like I said earlier, it can be quite scary as you have grip and suddenly your grip will disappear and understeer sets in as if you hit ice / oil.

At stock ride height it's fine as there's a bit of travel before you get into the severe positive dynamic camber; however you lower the car and you will either hit the dynamic camber height quicker, or even be in it at rest.

Even if you lower it, get the car properly aligned there's a huge issue: because say you set -1.00 degrees negative camber at rest... you will lose some - or all - of that, or could even end up with positive camber, depending how far wishbone goes past horizontal (suspension compresses) when you drive.

What the bumpsteer kit does is changes the "hinging" points to account for the new height range and moves (most of) the dynamic camber past where you would expect your maximum compression to be. BTW, dynamic camber is not the only thing as also generates dynamic toe (front wheels want to go different directions as no longer pointing in same direction). Dynamic toe is less of an issue on Imprezas, but also present and more pronounced the further the suspension is compressed.

I'm lucky to have learned all this years ago from guys rallying Impreza's. In rally driving bumpsteer is a big deal as they often compress suspension a lot (imagine hitting bump at 80-100mph, get some airtime and then land). The "Bumpsteer" name comes from when you go over a bump and land and the car suddenly goes left or right due to changes in the geometry alignment of the steering - rally guys go to great lengths to "dial out" bumpsteer as it is dangerous and costs loads of valuable time on the stages.

Got KYB Ultra sr. Great stuff. Really happy with them. Big difference after bad stock shocks. Will be getting front one too in some time.

:thumbsup:

You won't know yourself (esp when fronts done too).
Enjoy the lack of knocking and better comfort and handeling fella.

Let us know how you get on when all 4 are fitted - what you think with these shocks on OEM springs.. And if you do go down the road of fitting lowering springs update your experiences.

Just in the same boat myself. Am thinking of going kyb ultra sr shocks with eibach lowering springs and white line roll centre correction kit. Is there anything I'm missing out here? Do I need the roll centre kit? Also will the above get rid of the knocking coming from the back?

@Patrick:
* 99% of the time the knocking on Newage Imprezas comes from the rear shocks and replacing them will cure the knocking (and binding) issues. On occasion it comes from the shock top mounts being worn, or the centre nut holding the shock and top mount together working lose. So unless your car is real low mileage I would recommend getting new top mounts as costs no extra labour and you know it will be right after.

* If lowering the car more than 25-30mm a WL roll centre kit will help, less than 25mm you'd get away with it.

* Other things:
If you don't already have the solid alloy C shaped rear droplink it is a very worthwhile upgrade.
If taking it further than polybushes on the front wishbones and rear trailing arms are the next step. You can get them in different strengths (duro ratings). If using car a daily driver go for the softer compounds; they are still stiffer than OEM rubber ones so improve tightness, without getting to harsh and transmitting too much vibration and noise into the cabin.

Back