Leaking oil pan gasket?

Altezza-Dan

Octane Boostaholics
Is this a common thing to leak over time? Is it just a gasket between sump and block or is there sealer needed in there aswell, I noticed a bit of residue around some areas of the sump last week when i was under the car and cleaned it up incase it was just from something else. Is it a big job to sort if it needs fixing? Im not loosing major amounts of oil or anything but something im keeping any eye on and will repair if thats the cause, Might be a good time for KillerB oil sump and pickup and baffle plate though :)

Just gasket sealer between the sump and block , could be a rear crank seal though as well

new one went on when it was rebuilt so i hope its not that, ill have another look under this week, any idea what torque the sump bolts should be at? Havent found that info yet

be very carefull with the sealer around the sump as in if you pot too much on, when you bolt the 2 together the excess will fall into the sump and could block part of the oil pick up :thumbsup: so be tidy :icon_grin: :thumbsup:

Re: Re: Leaking oil pan gasket?

[quote author=Altezza-Dan link=topic=41455.msg1#msg1 date=1397480187]
new one went on when it was rebuilt so i hope its not that, ill have another look under this week, any idea what torque the sump bolts should be at? Havent found that info yet
[/quote]

tightening bolts will not sorted if a leak.

just huge risk breaking one

[quote author=scoobysub link=topic=41455.msg474379#msg474379 date=1397481620]
be very carefull with the sealer around the sump as in if you pot too much on, when you bolt the 2 together the excess will fall into the sump and could block part of the oil pick up :thumbsup: so be tidy :icon_grin: :thumbsup:
[/quote]

Yeah its not something im going to mess with myself as ive heard of that happening with too much sealer alright! I just want to find the source of the leak and go from there. Ill clean an mess off and monitor it to see if/where its starts to re-appear

You can buy group N cork sump gaskets, not sure why some use them, I always thought cork gaskets were fukrs for leaking... On old fords that is.

You need to try trace the oil leak to its highest point, it could be anything, rear crank seal, gear box seal, oil pump leaking, oil modine, pipes, etc etc maybe just sump. Worst case scenario, your block halves are leaking, haven't seen it myself before but I guess it could happen

[quote author=KENC link=topic=41455.msg1#msg1 date=1397689348]
You can buy group N cork sump gaskets, not sure why some use them, I always thought cork gaskets were fukrs for leaking... On old fords that is.

You need to try trace the oil leak to its highest point, it could be anything, rear crank seal, gear box seal, oil pump leaking, oil modine, pipes, etc etc maybe just sump. Worst case scenario, your block halves are leaking, haven't seen it myself before but I guess it could happen
[/quote]

I used the group n gasket on mine when fitting the baffle , a year later still dry as a bone . They are a good job but not really needed

[quote author=KENC link=topic=41455.msg1#msg1 date=1397691303]
Wonder what is the idea of them?
[/quote]

I read somewhere it was to give a little more clearance for the oil pickup actually but don't know how accurate that is. Sounds like bull ?

Hmmm yeah that doesn't seem like a good idea does it, be more prone to oil starvation? Maybe it makes Fuk all difference,

I remember hearing somewhere that they are handy of the sump is going to be on and off the car,
and if you coat the gasket face with a light grease, it will stop the gasket sticking to the metal and won't rip and can be reused..that works on tractors anyway lol

I had another look at it today no loose bolts, so i degreased where i could, i think there could be a few leaks, maybe the sump, a cam seal a rear crank seal or power steering rack leak, i cant locate the source, i tried take off the passenger side timing belt cover to check the came seals, only 3 of 4 bolts came out, one just turned like it was threaded, so ill have to figure out how to get that out. Anyone have any ideas?

Ill probaly have to leave it in to Ciaran or Dave to get checked out as im out of ideas :(

Captive nut in the back cover is spinning on you, perhaps lever the cover a bit while your turning it, and it might grip, you might be able to see the captive nut aswell from the back..

Regards the oil leak, steering fluid will be red so easily identified... I hope for your sake it is a seal of some kind and not the block halves leaking....

You check rocker cover gasket???

Rocker covers, are they the ones on the sides of the engine, where the colipacks sit?

I did notice yesterday when it was up on the ramp a bit of oily residue around one of the holes where the coilpacks sit it, not sure if that was a spill from oil change or what. i cleaned it up and will monitor it every few days. you can replace that gasket without having the engine out?

Yea that's them Dan, there is seal around the plug holes and around the cover perimeter... Could well be those.

Yes you can change I. The engine bay, not the easiest but you have dainty little typest hands :)

[quote author=davelegacy™ link=topic=41455.msg475558#msg475558 date=1398339863]
yes can change. but them legacy models very very tight.

also engine mount on driver chassis leg.
[/quote]

That chassis mount isn't on mine anymore Dave, was in the way of the vf36. Drivers side seems fine anyway

Back