Is my second turbo blown???

Stu

Hi All,

I signed up here last night, bought my 2002 Legacy B4 last week and this morning I was going to work after leaving her heat up for around 10 mins as she was a bit spluttery on cold start the last few mornings(pretty much out of nowhere!!) I was on a dual carriageway in 4th doing maybe 70/80 kmph in traffic when the rev counter shot up to 5000(ish)rpm, I didn't hear any pops or bangs but when I stopped at traffic lights a few mins later I could smell something burning/roasted but it went, now the second turbo isn't boosting!! I took a few pics earlier, there's soot on the heat shield on the second(I think)turbo...any help or advice would be great...I don't have any error codes
IMAG0697_zpsm2319ucc.jpg
IMAG0696_zps0q6tlloz.jpg

IMAG0695_zpsp6etwryn.jpg

IMAG0694_zpsqpeys33k.jpg

IMAG0692_zpsqosc4xph.jpg

Imo best advice for you is to get that car to someone who knows how to diagnose/solve this, there are probably 25 forum based explanations for this and its all guesswork that could waste your time/money trying to solve, find out if any of the site traders are near you and get the car to one of them asap.

As above man get someone to have a look at it for you,it's hard to diagnose a problem on an open forum as ot's usualky guesswork

Cheers lads :thumbsup: , I was just checking on here for Mechanics in Cork...i've been to Mark Murphy in the past with a WRX classic so i'm gonna try call in to Rob (a member here) in Midleton, Rebel Motor Group. I presume just give the shop a buzz!?!

Have heard mark murphys name mentioned here alright, a good few lads on here from cork so one of them will point you in the right direction, hopefully its not somethig too big.

I hope not...if it was a computer it'd be sorted in no time...but it's not!! :icon_grin:

Trailer or tow it is what I was thinking, hope the fix isn't toooo expensive, you'll be kissing a grand goodbye to get her somewhere near right

Just called to Rob in Midleton, booked in with him for Thursday week...Thanks Rob :thumbsup:

If the revs shot up when you were in gear, were you trying to accelerate? could it actually be the clutch slipping and that's why your turbo is not boosting?

Hey Rob Spec C,

I don't think it was the clutch as it was supposedly changed recently plus the black soot around the heat shield is a bit weird cos I noticed when admiring the engine previously that both the heat shields are nice and clean!! I was just cruising in morning traffic so I wasn't accelerating, it's a strange one!! :wall:

Ok...update, had the car fully checked over. The turbo is fine, the clutch is fooked!! Rob Spec C...you were spot on!! :) :multijump:

Thanks again everyone!! :subaru:

:clap: :clap: :clap: . so much for it being changed a while ago but sure least you know what the problem is now :thumbsup:

[quote author=Rob Spec C link=topic=41406.msg474779#msg474779 date=1397750622]
I'm a highly skilled google mechanic :smokin: :discomonkey:
[/quote]

Well done you where spot on :goodjob:

Back