exhaustsystem/manifold query

marksscooby

Petrolheads
hi all, if i put on a hks cat back system, and exhaust manifold on my impreza v5, would the emissions be too high for nct? i am getting it remapped for ron 95 in january
would it give much bhp?
many hangovers yet :ponder: :guinness:

sorry brian,but i think its the other way around,you can get away with the center section removed,but the downpipe needs to have the cat in it to pass emissions...
As brian said to though be carefull of over boosting when you fit the downpipe... :thumbsup:

I know a guy that passed with a decat down pipe :ponder: He just changed the center and backbox for the test.
The nct is a load of poo anyway, some centers could pass ya and some would fail ya, all a money making scheme :angry:

maybe it was the sports flow-cat down pipe :dunno: :dunno:
i have to agree the NCT is a load of bollocks,

Couldn't agree more lads it is a load of bollo  :angry: , but you will have to put the original downpipe back on for NCT.
@scoobyke are the sportscat's anygood I've heard good and bad reports on them :dunno:

downpipe cat is the main cat, the centre cat does not have 2 be there. Dont know about your NCT centres but r MOT centres r feckin shite, some pass u where others would fail you.

I still haven't done the NCT
Few jobs to do on the car before i put it in

@ jim dublin...not sure bout the sports down-pipes,but id say they cant be that bad,think renno/daveleggy could be able to tell us more as they are the main guys dealing with the mappers and are getting the feed back.... :dunno: :thumbsup:

Really need to put the standard downpipe in for the NCT but I have a 3" centre section with high flow CAT and that passed the NCT even with the CAT gone from the downpipe. Some of the sports cats are nearly as good as a decat but can be a little expensive.

Damo

My experiance Is that If you have for example a standard scooby she'd map to 300bhp,
With sports cat (miltek or similar) you get about 330bhp when mapped, and would be a bit quiter than a de-cat!
With de-cat you could get 340bhp when mapped but you'd have to put your standard cat back in at nct time and probibly break your lambda sencer doing so!
So the extra €300-400 for sports cat may be justifiable!
These figues are only estimates but are relative!
Also why would you not use maxol E5? instead of 95ron!
And as the lads said, try use the car as little and as gently as possible if you alter any part of the engine untill she's mapped to suit!
Best of luck with her! :thumbsup:
Dan

hi dan, how are you?
would i still pass nct with the following:  sports cat, cat back exhaust system, exhaust manifold :ponder:
thanks for your help :thumbsup:
p.s. how is your christmas :ponder: :salute: there is no petrol station near me that supplies e5 :)

With a sports cat by any reputable company she'd defo pass the nct! :thumbsup:
Cat back system and manifold wont make any serious diference to emmisions,
That sucks about no 99 ron petrol, I'd seriously consider using a good octain booster with the 95 to get it up to maybe 97 or 98ron fuel I use a third of a bottle of NF booster that boosts a tank of fuel by 2ron which is an extra 20-25 bhp when mapped to suit! those figures i mentioned before would be based roughly on 98-99ron fuel!
A third bottle of NF works out at €7.25 a tank so I think it's well worth it! I think that's a little bit more expencive than lucas but it is supposed to be better stuff!
Best of luck man! :thumbsup:
Dan

The decent sports cat downpipes are around 700 - 750 IIRC.

@ Dan - Andy Forrest has mapped many cars with Lucas and NF here and at the time reckoned both where as good as eachother and the results where consistent on many cars. We have to be carefull not to say one is "suppose" to be better then the other because its misleading and not factual. I always recommend Lucas or NF because as long as they use one them it makes the cars alot easier to map.

If you check your email from early last Jan I think Andy F recommended Lucas to you in an email. So based on the results he had with it while mapping he felt it was good. Unless of course you have done back to back testing with Lucas and NF on the same day and same car ? If it really is better Ill defo start stocking straight away. I suppose I should really stock both anyway.

Damo

I have been trying lately to be impartial, regarding products and services available and I don't think I ever say anything as a matter of fact, I'm a chippy not a mechanic so I just try pass on as much info to lads that may need it!
Re: andyf , On his own site with his dyno readouts of preformance of different turbos he supplys he states over the graph that NF was used to help attain the figues shown!
But I understand were you are coming from! :thumbsup:
Dan

[quote author=forester sti link=topic=4717.msg51139#msg51139 date=1198976612]
I have been trying lately to be impartial, regarding products and services available and I don't think I ever say anything as a matter of fact, I'm a chippy not a mechanic so I just try pass on as much info to lads that may need it!
Re: andyf , On his own site with his dyno readouts of preformance of different turbos he supplys he states over the graph that NF was used to help attain the figues shown!
But I understand were you are coming from! :thumbsup:
Dan
[/quote]

Ah yeah of course I know that Dan and you are impartial, not having a go just saying both are proven and work well. Im a happy camper once people use one or the other because it makes mapping alot easier.

Back