Rear arches rust.

Confused_dude

Sunday Drivers
Well dudes yesterday I was cleaning the car and spotted that the rear arches are starting to bubble where the rear bumper bolts on.

Realistically I wanna try stop it as quickly as I can so any advice or ideas would be great.

Oh the car is a 00 jdm gc8

Sent from my iPhone thingy

very common spot for it the start on them, mine is at the same and also i would advise to have a look at the over flow drain in at the full filler cap, it gets blocked up and will rot from the inside out as well :thumbsup:

as for the bit you have the only real way you will get rid of it is to get the area stripped down to the metal, treated/repaired primed and spray the whole panel

Ah Danny I was gutted when I seen it because I seen so many cars with bubbles in that area and The car I bought was clean as a whistle. Ah treatment it is so

i know what you mean, i missed these bits on mine when doing the full respray and a year later it started to show up :banghead

Jamie it depends how bad it is if you should start cutting. Seeing as I'll have to sand down to metal I will be cutting some of the worst bits but it will mainly be the lip on the arch

I'd be of the attitude that once a piece of metal shows signs of rust it should be cut out regardless... Otherwise it just keeps coming back. My own wagon was repaired about 2 years back by a local bodyshop... I gather they ground it back.. Treated it and skimmed it and filled it and surprise, surprised its back again. I'll be tackling it myself this summer and I plan on cutting out anything that shows signs of the dreaded stuff and replacing it with fresh metal.

What most places do is sand back and treat what they can see, if its showing on the outside your almost guaranteed its on the inside as well and this is the reason it comes back, if you sand back the paint and can press the panel in with little or now pressure and it moves then I'd start cutting and repair from the inside out if you get me

Rust is a swine and will break your hart, it did to me anyway with my wagon, I started off repairing a small hole in an arch and needed up replacing inner and outer panels on the sill and wheel arch

paint wont stop rust only cover it cut and replace is the only option unless its surface rust that will sand out :goodjob:

Back