I want 400bhp...

daly.88

Sunday Drivers
well lads im thinkin of putting a bit of money into my bug wrx im going to set a goal as close to 400bhp as possible and its going to be over time i no the first things im going to need is clutch, brakes and gearbox turbo injectors etc etc but what about internally what will i need to build inside the engine to be sure of not blowing the thing into the sky just want to get a list of what i need and start puchasing like pistons for example is there any certain brand better than the other or should any forge piston be ok for that power.. all help is welcome so lets hear ur opinions!! :thumbsup:

i would reconsider as i can see an easy 15-20k + going into what you want to achieve so first thing is are you prepared to spend that type of cash? i know you say you want to build it over time but a lot of these over time projects never get finished,would it not be better to sell the bug wrx then start with a newage sti which will be cheaper to make a 400bhp car out of will still take a chunk of cash but easier to achieve?

by all means if you have the cash and the patients go for it once finished you wont regret,i started in 2007 with 360bhp after 6 odd years im at 640bhp and still have more in the pipeline and ive spent thousands each year to get here

Alan, tell him how many times you have drove your car in the last few years??

But as above, buy a Sti, get it to 350bhp fairly easy and leave it, that is the best way to go,

Other wise but a rs4 Quattro.

Long term projects don't work, boredom sets in quickly.

I think I'm in over 15k , between engine , brakes , suspension , turbo , 6 speed gearbox etc,etc,etc and that does not include the price of the car. Still not at the 400 Mark

In all honesty 350 is enough in a classic for the road for anyone .

I think wrx is not a good start but it is your choice at the end on the day .

I think a well sorted Sti and then go from there .

400 is a number , it doesn't mean fu*k all in real world terms IMO

@ Johnny , agree with the long term projects , you have to be really committed to keep at it

350 Horse, 350 torque is all the car you will ever need. Can be acheived on a newage STI with sport cat exhaust, Cosworth panel filter and remap. Probably cost less than 2 grand rather 15k+ for an extra 50 ponies and extra turbo lag, stress on the engine. :turbo:

even with a newage sti , goin for 400 can be expensive . agree that a 350+ should be plenty .that roughly where i should be later in the day .

i defo would not attempt this with a wrx as a starting point , no offence but it jus does not seem financially justifiable imo .

what kind of figure € had you got in your own head ???

[quote author=DUFFMAN™ link=topic=41112.msg470451#msg470451 date=1394781001]

[/quote]

Except they never make the claimed power....or anywhere close...they are dynoing at 350-360bhp from what I have been reading, rear suspension failures....that's why they have been plummeting in price recently...A decent mapped STI would easily keep up considering its' nearly 200kg lighter.

I read this buying guide

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/default.asp?storyId=28785

and the comments from disappointed owners, the honest ones, was a real eye opner

I will agree with all the above. Much cheaper to buy a bug STI and go from there.

Beside the obvious engine upgrades you have to count in the cost of the gearbox as the standard wrx with that power will not last long.
+ you need to somehow stop these horses, so need better brakes.

Bug STI comes with 6speed and brembos in the package, the engine is more capable of higher horsepowers out of the box as well.

[quote author=DUFFMAN™ link=topic=41112.msg470451#msg470451 date=1394781001]
Alan, tell him how many times you have drove your car in the last few years??

But as above, buy a Sti, get it to 350bhp fairly easy and leave it, that is the best way to go,

Long term projects don't work, boredom sets in quickly.

[/quote]

honestly not as much as i would like tbh,but i do love when i get to go out it it weather it be back rounds or some drag ive not got tired of it,but the money and time to get to the level im at is mad for the use it gets id have my mortgage paid off if i spent what i have on my car on repayments

Hi Daily.88

Ive newage wrx makes 335 bhp in a might be worth reading my blog ive no regreats and didnt cost that much also car is a daily driver never misses a beat and is set up nicley.

have a read pm me if you have any questions

[quote author=mac mac link=topic=41112.msg1#msg1 date=1394786343]
even with a newage sti , goin for 400 can be expensive . agree that a 350+ should be plenty .that roughly where i should be later in the day .

i defo would not attempt this with a wrx as a starting point , no offence but it jus does not seem financially justifiable imo .

what kind of figure € had you got in your own head ???
[/quote]
Mac Mac explain please about later

You are at a crazy disadvantage to start off with a Wrx .. I really wouldn't bother to go ahead with it..

400bhp in a newage car would be very nice and useable... Don't mind the guys that say it's too much..
400 in a newage body is probably less power to weight ratio than 350 in a classic, and you have the advantage of better brakes and suspension. In a standard newage sti than a classic..

If you had an sti bugeye... You would only need, injectors and a turbo, uprated pump, and a map..... So possibly 3-4 k to achieve 400bhp on a newage sti..

The Wrx is just at too much of a disadvantage to start off with.

cheers for all the replies and not 1 smart mouth comment in it im impressed!! so basically its seam to be just heading in 1 direction its pointless and nearlly impossible without and pile of cash at the moment im doin a sti turbo and supporting mods and hopin for maybe 320-330 hopefully i reach than and will just have to be happy with it maybe for next car get the sti and go from there!! cheers lads :thumbsup:

You are not going to get 320 -330 by sticking an sti turbo on a Wrx I'm afraid. 320-330 would be very good power to get from an sti with stage 1 mods... So you won't get that with a Wrx.. I'd guesstimate at 270-280... You will have lazy cams aswell so..not to mention the lack of avcs heads...... So your tuned 280 wouldn't out perform an STIs standard power...

If you want more power.. Sell the bug and buy an sti... If you stick a decat on the sti and map it will be a better performer than the Wrx with bigger turbo, injectors, intercooler etc etc and that's not to mention the strength of the engines.

ive seen several posts of lads getting over the 300bhp mark with these mods vf35, sti pinks, sti intercooler, 3 port boost solenoid, walbro pump, full 3 inch decat with catless uppipe prob few other bits and a good remap ive read so many of these post cant all be wrong..

Ken sorry but gotta disagree with above

Below is spec of my blob wrx at last map since changed backbox so have full 3inch rcm pipe work the whole way through car goes like sh*t off a shovel(nothing "lazy" about it) few member that have been in it were mighty impressed also there is truth to being a numbers junky they mean nothing its all about the way the car feels and mine quick enough.

If I was starting out with a new car id buy a sti but this dosent make financial sence when you have a wrx esp if its a good one ud sell yours for very little (all our cars worth f@$ k all) then have to find a straight unabused sti (difficult) then ud start spending money on it anyway.
Theres great satisfaction doing your car your way my advice is join up get a full membership the info alone worth the 50 lids plus ull get it back in subs during the year ect

Cheers
Ciaran

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-03-15-01-17-10.png
    Screenshot_2014-03-15-01-17-10.png
    375.5 KB · Views: 38
  • Screenshot_2014-03-15-01-01-00.png
    Screenshot_2014-03-15-01-01-00.png
    98.4 KB · Views: 24
  • Screenshot_2014-03-15-01-17-10.png
    Screenshot_2014-03-15-01-17-10.png
    375.5 KB · Views: 36