Turbo install...DIY?

Altezza-Dan

Octane Boostaholics
It looks fairly straight forward to me to do, only things i worry about afterwards is making sure there is oil and coolant in the turbo for that first start!

Any major things to watch out for when swapping turbo, i see you should top the turbo up with some oil through the oil line port on the top of the turbo before you connect up the new oil line, what about coolant? Is a coolant change recommended when installing a turbo or just top-up/burp the system afterwards? Ill be replaceing a lot of the coolant and vaccum/boost lines at the same time with some silicone ones so maybe its best to fully drain the system. I'll be restricting the turbo to actuator boost until i can get Joe to map it for me.

disconnect cam sensor/plug out coil ( works on classic, not sure of new age setip) prevents starting. open oil banjoo bolt a bit on top of turbo crank until oil comes out. tighten bolt crank for another 30 seconds ish.

Can be a nightmare Dan , You have the right thoughts on it though, just be careful that nothing falls into the oil return hose (shove a piece of tissue or some thing to block it off until ready to fit the new turbo.

Oil wise, All I did was pour a little oil into the turbo, connect all the lines up and disconnect the crank sensor,( wont fire up with this off ) turn it over until the oil light goes out, reconnect the crank sensor and fire it up.

Coolant wise disconnect the bottom hose on the turbo first (close to the p/s pipes)and shove a bolt in it , the same with the top, when reconnecting bottom first and the back fill the system through the top turbo hose , you'll probably need to get the front of the car up in the air to burp it also just incase of an air lock.

Others may do differently but this works for me

Cheers Baz some good tips there. One more question, whats the best kind of hose clamp for the turbo inlet hose onto the turbo, just a standard worm drive clamp? Any need for one of the fancy murray constant tension clamps there? I know its under vaccum most of the time so no high pressure to deal with i believe. Just want to make sure i have all the bits i need before i start this swap!

Inlet hose is sucking so its not going to blow off the pipe. any decent jubilee clip will be up to the job

[quote author=seanie link=topic=41105.msg1#msg1 date=1394724604]
Inlet hose is sucking so its not going to blow off the pipe. any decent jubilee clip will be up to the job
[/quote]
X2

Back