Wheel bearing noise? Blob sti dccd.

Kilfree

Octane Boostaholics
What's the best way to check if I have a noisy bearing? I can hear a noise that sounds like a bearing but it changes with different road surfaces.
Or could it be from the transmission or tyres, as I had that on my old wrx with 18 tyres, new tyres cured the problem.
I've noticed it for a month or two but I think it's getting progressively louder.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4

Take the suspected hub off the car is the only proper way I've found to diagnose it .

the only accurate way to do it is to get the car on a lift and get someone to drive it while you listen to the bearings,gearbox and diff with a statoscope ,that's how i do it anything else is guess work

Did a check today with a stethoscope and there's no noisy bearing.
However the offside rear tyre is worn unevenly. All the other tyres are ok.
Picture shows the inside thread segment which is well worn and the rest of the tyre is much less worn.In fact there is a step of about 2 or 3 mm between segments.
Could this be an alignment problem or some worn suspension components or just a faulty tyre?
I suspect that this is causing the noise that I'm hearing too.
zura7yda.jpg

I'd say that's it man as barry said change tyre do alignment and see how it is iv seen that before

If you have matching tyres on back and bought from a tyre company bring it back and tell them that the tyre is faulty and the heel and toe on it is much more pronounced than the other side, they might change it for you FOC..???

It is possible they will tell you it's cornering to hard, but usually that would happen on the near side.......

If you bought of the internet I would imagine its a case of tough luck.

I see that everyday in work a tyre company would laugh at you brining it back .the car is quiet clearly out of alignment and needs to be adjusted

Re: Re: Wheel bearing noise? Blob sti dccd.

[quote author=WAGON DEC link=topic=41085.msg1#msg1 date=1396292316]
I see that everyday in work a tyre company would laugh at you brining it back .the car is quiet clearly out of alignment and needs to be adjusted
[/quote]

:) Laugh is correct

Every tyre be getting sent back.

I would still bring it back, I deal with the same tyre company the whole time with my cars and if I had those sort of problems within a limited time scale I would have absolutely no problem taking it back a raging war on them.

Worst case scenario as Dec and Dave say they will laugh at you . Best case you have a free roundy bit of rubber

Re: Re: Wheel bearing noise? Blob sti dccd.

[quote author=CiaranBC5 link=topic=41085.msg1#msg1 date=1396293354]
I would still bring it back, I deal with the same tyre company the whole time with my cars and if I had those sort of problems within a limited time scale I would have absolutely no problem taking it back a raging war on them.

Worst case scenario as Dec and Dave say they will laugh at you . Best case you have a free roundy bit of rubber
[/quote]

The car has an alignment issue.

Why or HOW would it be the type supplier/manufacters fault for you to be raging a war on them as you say.

Well I bought the tyres as a full set locally semperits not a budget tyre in my book. I'd say myself its the alignment so I'll check that out first before waging war.:D

My apologies didn't read Kilfree's post from earlier correctly. However I managed it, I read there was a 2 ta 3 mm difference in tyres from offside to near side.

:oops: :booboo: :hammerhead: :hammerhead:

semperite tyres have very soft side walls i found get the alignment checked and take it from there :thumbsup:

Well a quick update. ..
I've checked the rear alignment as shown in the impreza manual and its spot on .I did it with my own basic gauges, no fancy 4 wheel stuff.
What now??

[quote author=Kilfree link=topic=41085.msg473587#msg473587 date=1396899301]
Well a quick update. ..
I've checked the rear alignment as shown in the impreza manual and its spot on .I did it with my own basic gauges, no fancy 4 wheel stuff.
What now??

[/quote]

What exactly did you check? I would get it checked witha laser alignment machine to be 100% sure

I checked the toe in and it was within the manual specified 0+or-3 mm.
A full 4 wheel laser alignment will be the next step then.

Back