Opinions/experieriences and advice needed please.

legacygt_ie

Sunday Drivers
To start please read the full post and give your .02 cents on the matter, I start with that because I am a black sheep of the Subaru family in that I drive an oil burning diesel :p

I am putting together a few extras for the car such as:

Refurbed front and rear 4&2 pots.
Whiteline adjustable front and rear anti roll bars c/w HD drop links.

But the part that I am having the most hassle with is remapping (hence posting in this section)

I have emailed several companies and there claims to power generally have 1 of 2 paths.

On 1 hand I have Ecutec from MRT performance in OZ (Pro cable and remap program are running about €1200 may be cheaper here or in the uk I have to see yet) or Litchfield Subaru in the UK (£600 plus ferry to uk and expenses) claiming and increase from 147 bhp to 180 and torque more interestingly increases by 52 lbft to 310 lbft. MRT also rally a diesel Forester, I think thats worth mentioning :)

www.enginetuner.co.uk quote the same figures but are £300 including vat (still waiting on a reply as if hes using Ecutec). This remap can be done in a matter of hours so I could possibly by back in a day and save £300+ (okay im not gonna save it, ill use it for other goodies for the car !! )

On the other hand for those that have replied to my emails, I have some considerably cheaper options in Ireland as example:

MFK autocare are asking for €350, are using hardware from cmd technologies (I know nothing about them) and claim 40hp and 85 n.m of torque (62 lbft ?)

Autotune replied with a number to ring but Im working abroad for another 2 weeks so I cant.

Conture auto gave the same reply.

Now the fun part..... From the little info thats out there the DPF doesnt handle 200+hp so im not looking for a massive increase in power or id just buy a second car.

As you can see from above Im leaning toward the Ecutec (weather MRT or another company) because it proven and with there Pro cable I would be able to use it as a diagnostic tool, force regen of the DPF and clear oil dilution.... but I can be expensive (MRT and Litchfield know how to charge)

However the cheaper option (the only 1 available at the minute is MFKautocare but it will cover anyone not using Ecutec) Im not sure will the Pro cable work after and due to the the rarity of the Diesel engine in Ireland Im not confidant about who to let remap my pride and joy !

Any thoughts/experiences opinions on the matter or the companies mentioned above would be a great help :)

Did you have chat with joe power I know he is doing some great work on the 520d and 530d

Try TorqueTronix they are based in Kells just outside Ballymena, I have had a couple of diesel "chipped" or "tuned" there, sound lads and easy enough dealt with.

Dave is the guy there, he'd be able to tell you whether or not he can do anything for you or not, here's his number +447734235815

There are a few franchises else where but to be honest they are hit and miss IMO

if it was my car I would remove the dpf and get it mapped out of it and I would also be leaning toward ecutek as they are proven ,some of these diesel tuners are just ramping up fuel pressure and causing a lot of problems with cars go for some one who knows what they are at and if you need to go to the uk do so as it will be done correctly imo

Re: Re: Opinions/experieriences and advice needed please.

[quote author=WAGON DEC link=topic=41077.msg1#msg1 date=1394490963]
if it was my car I would remove the dpf and get it mapped out of it and I would also be leaning toward ecutek as they are proven ,some of these diesel tuners are just ramping up fuel pressure and causing a lot of problems with cars go for some one who knows what they are at and if you need to go to the uk do so as it will be done correctly imo
[/quote]

A dpf filter will be a requirment to pass a nct in near future.

[quote author=WAGON DEC link=topic=41077.msg1#msg1 date=1394491573]
only on euro 5 emission level anything built before euro 5 doesn't need one for the test
[/quote]

At moment.

I cannot see that lasting

i'd give joe power a call, he mapped my van and its night and day to what it was. the nice thing about joe is, its not just a one fits all map, when he dumped the map on mine i brought it for a drive. it was better, but i had a feeling it would still struggle pulling the trailer with the racecar and tools. in joe fashion, he said hang on i'll give it a tweek, i now have better mpg and suffer terrible with wheelspin :multijump:. pulls great, more deliverable power and more mpg. great thing is he can tweek it too what you want/what its capable of.

Thanks for the fast reply everyone.

I got an email back from www.enginetuner.co.uk to say that he uses ECUtec on petrol cars but because of expense he uses "Alientech" on diesels..... anyone any experience with this ?

Keith, Ill have to add him to my list to ring when I get home.

Dave, mileage is around the 80,000 KM mark. I didnt think the Boxer diesels were that common to have common problems. MRT are claiming that the Boxer engine they are using is bullet proof hence them rallying it.

Kerian, Ill add them to the list, cheers for the details. Im noping to not get a "miss" !!

Wagon (sorry to see your wagon go, I was tempted to ring you about it myself) I dont know of any Ecutec dealers in Ireland and removing the DPF would be more money again onto an already expensive product. Also the ECUtec remap is designed to work with the DPF (mine is working fine...for now) and with the Pro cable I could make my car force regen should the filter become clogged.

There is also the NCT, while at the moment its not required to have the DPF on the car if that changes ? Ive heard though that the car will still pass with it off on emissions.

[quote author=legacygt_ie link=topic=41077.msg1#msg1 date=1394527007]

I got an email back from www.enginetuner.co.uk to say that he uses ECUtec on petrol cars but because of expense he uses "Alientech" on diesels..... anyone any experience with this ?

Dave, mileage is around the 80,000 KM mark. I didnt think the Boxer diesels were that common to have common problems. MRT are claiming that the Boxer engine they are using is bullet proof hence them rallying it.

Kerian, Ill add them to the list, cheers for the details. Im noping to not get a "miss" !!

Wagon (sorry to see your wagon go, I was tempted to ring you about it myself) I dont know of any Ecutec dealers in Ireland and removing the DPF would be more money again onto an already expensive product. Also the ECUtec remap is designed to work with the DPF (mine is working fine...for now) and with the Pro cable I could make my car force regen should the filter become clogged.

There is also the NCT, while at the moment its not required to have the DPF on the car if that changes ? Ive heard though that the car will still pass with it off on emissions.
[/quote]

Subaru diesels are suffering massive problems.

Broken crankshafts being one of them.

[quote author=davelegacy™ link=topic=41077.msg470067#msg470067 date=1394528730]
[quote author=legacygt_ie link=topic=41077.msg1#msg1 date=1394527007]

[/quote]

Subaru diesels are suffering massive problems.

Broken crankshafts being one of them.
[/quote]

Googled it ..... doesnt look good for my car, seems the problem may have been rectified in newer engines.... Moving on ... anyone else got thoughts on remap ?

Back