Gearbox Oil Change now I have a crunch

jamjam42

So.... Very recently changed the oil in my 92 Legacy. Since doing so it has developed a slight crunch/grind when dropping down into second its easy enough to stop just need to clutch for longer and it goes in no problem.

Bit of a chat with a mate who has had a similar issue (on a toy GT4) and he reckoned its the quality of the new (modern) oil, basically the sync is not slowing as quickly as it should as the oil is lubricating it better than expected.

Has anyone here had the same issue? I am in debate over trying thicker oil or trying an oil additive like the below.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lucas-Heavy...&keywords=lucas+oil+stabilizer#productDetails

The oil recommended by subaru is semi synthetic 75w90, I have never seen that issue after an oil change

[quote author=WAGON DEC link=topic=40934.msg468278#msg468278 date=1393349152]
The oil recommended by subaru is semi synthetic 75w90, I have never seen that issue after an oil change
[/quote]

Yeah that's what I put into it. Same stuff has gone into a 95 WRX with no issues.

Hence my bafflement.

my father used to say when they had this problems on cars years ago a bit of saw dust would do the trick :icon_biggrin:

On a serious note hope you get sorted its strange one

Back